Re: Ivy league style for today (part 2)

John Smedley sea island l/s polo in grey-green
L.L.Bean jeans
Smedley socks
Astorflex desert boots

#952 2022-07-12 02:19:58

AFS

A tad cloudy, so I ventured out in my new (1960s) Brooks 'awning stripe', billowing shirt with a Brooks navy lambswool slipover - which proved hardly necessary as I returned sticky and slightly footsore. 
A fair amount of teenage midriff to be seen. 
Sum total of my efforts to look 'cool': a twin pack of digestive biscuits.

#953 2022-07-13 02:57:00

AFS

The Brooks 'Special Order' and Arrow chinos.
Too damn hot now for anything else.

#954 2022-07-16 12:11:45

Runninggeez

John Simons Linen Ivy Jacket
John Simons Popover Madras BD
Nudie Selvedge Denim
Alden LHS Scotch Grain

#955 2022-07-16 12:32:12

colin
Bright Light

Bet that jacket didn't stay on long...!

#956 2022-07-16 12:35:02

colin
Bright Light

I have the navy version and am a big fan. But couldn't imagine being in anything else than white t shirt and Madras shorts in these times!

#957 2022-07-16 12:53:21

Runninggeez

@Colin, Ha ha ha. It bloody did stay on, in and out shops that had their air con on.

BTW, I have Navy one too, love it.

#958 2022-07-17 02:47:07

colin
Bright Light

Out of curiosity what are you usually wearing with the navy jacket? I've been a fan of navy jacket and khakis because of the cultural/class associations, so intrigued what you opt for for a casual jacket.

#959 2022-07-17 06:55:56

RobbieB

Full grained brown leather boat shoes, yellow socks, khaki just above knee shorts, RL (no logo) pop over Madras shirt in blue,green,yellow, red on white background, straw triby style hat £6.99 from a stall in Southend to protect my head. Reactolite glasses. I got a compliment from a neighbour as I stepped out the main entrance.
Heading towards the Estuary to eye up the female day trippers

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-07-17 06:58:38)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#960 2022-07-17 10:53:23

Runninggeez

@Colin, Navy Linen jacket mainly worn with faded selvedge (I'm a big fan of denim, always have been since my soulboy days, a hard habit to crack) but also khakis or Bedford cords.

#961 2022-07-18 09:48:37

AlveySinger

Colin
I have a few linen jackets. I love them. Not too dressy but can elevate an outfit.
If you're not a fan of khakis in the conventional colours look for a stone/off white colour.
Also look at 5 pocket trousers - Cordings does some interesting colours
RG, is bang on navy linen looks good with denim. You want a bit of a contrast though or it can look like an odd suit.

#962 2022-07-18 16:07:44

colin
Bright Light

Yeah, that's it. Raw denim needs to be be faded a bit otherwise it's a bit of a weird blue suit as you say. Off White five pockets is a definite, maybe I need to try khakis again though (given the looks is way slouchier than the posh Tory look which I just hate).

Have to say the thing I like the most about linen jackets, that I wasn't expecting, was wearing them with a t shirt, white or stripped. Similar with seersucker sack jackets, too.

#963 2022-12-12 03:50:09

Staxfan

I guess we're all giving our shetlands, harris tweeds, flannel shirts plenty of wears at the present time, I got two wears out of my LE flannel lined chinos this weekend, and had good reason to get out my new JS overcoat,
Robbie - how cold is it in Finland at the mo' ?

#964 2022-12-12 04:19:36

RobbieB

Stax- Very cold for Helsinki with a wind coming off the sea. -8c but with wind chill double that. And lots of snow, which is unusual for this time of year in the capital. We have been walking around Helsinki visiting an art gallery and now in a lunchtime restaurant that for retired people is only 10euro per person. Weatherwise a big shock for me but the Finns just carry on as usual!

#965 2022-12-12 04:43:10

RobbieB

Clotheswise I'm layed up but two mistakes. I'm wearing Clarks rock boots (like desert boots but with a walking boot type sole) and I'm slipping and sliding. Also I'm the only one not wearing longjohns under my Lee 101s.

#966 2022-12-12 07:17:30

Patrick

Realized the other day I was in Bean from head to toe, except for the socks. Bean down jacket, Bean flannel shirt, Bean lined chinos, insulated three-eye Bean boots, Bean long johns. Darn Tough socks and a NY Jets cap were the only outliers, and the cap has a big stain on it. (Hoping it's mud.)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#967 2023-06-08 16:09:06

Streetlight

Today, I find myself compelled to share my heartfelt admiration for the Ivy clothing ensemble I am wearing. Ah, the allure of Ivy fashion—the timeless elegance, the refined aesthetics, and the undeniable charm that resonates with us all!

Let's start with the foundation of my outfit—the trousers. In true Ivy League fashion, I opted for a pair of impeccably tailored flat-front chinos. The key here is the perfect balance between comfort and sophistication. They hug my hips just right, with a slight taper that elongates the leg line. The earthy tone I chose adds a touch of understated class, allowing me to pair them seamlessly with a multitude of shirt options.

Speaking of shirts, today I opted for a classic button-down collar Oxford cloth shirt. There's something inherently captivating about the way the collar sits just so, framing the face and exuding an air of effortless refinement. The fabric itself possesses a luxurious heft, which not only drapes beautifully but also ages gracefully over time, developing that desired patina unique to Ivy clothing.

Now, let's not forget the pièce de résistance—the blazer. Today, I decided to embrace the season with a lightweight, unstructured jacket crafted from a fine herringbone tweed. The combination of craftsmanship and functionality is truly awe-inspiring. The soft shoulder construction provides an unpretentious yet refined silhouette, while the herringbone pattern adds a subtle touch of visual intrigue. It's a garment that effortlessly transitions from the office to a casual evening gathering, making it a cornerstone of the Ivy wardrobe.

Moving on to the accessories, I couldn't resist adorning my ensemble with a tasteful knit tie. This particular tie, in a rich burgundy shade, adds depth and character to the overall look. The texture and quality of the knit itself lend a touch of sophistication and remind us that Ivy style is not just about the garments we wear but also the attention to detail we imbue in every aspect of our outfit.

#968 2023-06-09 00:51:08

RobbieB

Streetlight- That all sounds great but what about the footwear? I reckon Shoes can 'make or break' the whole ensemble, for the Ivy look

#969 2023-06-09 02:41:15

Streetlight

Of course, let's not forget the footwear. Yesterday I opted for a pair of classic penny loafers in a deep, burnished brown. They possessed a versatility that allows them to seamlessly transition from the office to a weekend stroll. With their distinctive strap across the vamp and the iconic penny slot, they epitomize Ivy style—comfortable, timeless, and effortlessly chic.

#970 2023-06-09 03:45:13

RobbieB

Cool

Board footer