You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-04 04:17:23

A Fine Sadness

As Of Now: The Best Polo Shirt

I regret having put on sufficient weight in my fifties to have to ditch the fine USA-made RL polo shirts my late father gave me.  I might have shelled out last week for a navy number in a vintage shop in Nottingham had it been USA-made, pony or no pony. 
I had a couple of Alan Paine about twelve years ago.  Cost hardly anything.
Lacoste I will no longer consider, even though the quality is said to be good. 
Fred Perry are completely out.  So is The Penguin.
A pocket polo shirt in navy or dark green would appeal, but must be made in USA/UK/France/Italy.  No logo. 
Any suggestions?

#2 2021-10-04 09:18:35

An Unseen Scene

Re: As Of Now: The Best Polo Shirt

Depends really on what you want it for.  If you don't want a logo, there are loads of inexpensive, made in UK ones.  These will often be as good as something more expensive. 

https://makeitbritish.co.uk/top-ten/uk-made-menswear/

https://madeingreatbritain.uk/british-made-polo-shirts/

The there are ones I recall from here from such as Haines or Dickies.

I'm surprised that Community Clothing do not do a polo shirt yet, surely that will come.  I'd definitely buy it.  Not only made in UK supporting communities and skills, but Patrick Grant is now trying to grow their own cotton in UK too.

Or some more high end ones amongst the usual here https://www.apetogentleman.com/best-mens-polo-shirts/

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2021-10-04 09:36:15)

#3 2021-10-04 14:00:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Uniqlo …. I haven’t bought any for a while, because they last well and the ones I’ve got are okay. A Japanese company, but I might as well ‘fess up now that some of their stuff, including these shirts, are made in China They seem to have expanded their range, but the Dry Pique Polo is the one to go for - decent weight cloth, classic cut, they hold their shape and don’t shrink. 70% cotton/30% Polyester which is a nice mix, not sweaty but hardwearing. I always have three or four navy ones in rotation and I live in them around the house and while travelling to work. They can start to fade after numerous washings but at £20 a go I’m happy.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#4 2021-10-04 14:03:23

Yuca

If you can tolerate made in Portugal then Sunspel is the way to go. Personally I only get them when the price is reduced. Very good quality in my experience.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2021-10-04 15:21:21

A Fine Sadness

I can.  Thanks for the tip.  Originally, I think, made in Long Eaton (about a dozen or so years ago?).

#6 2021-10-04 15:34:56

Yuca

If I had the choice between working in Long Eaton or Portugal I know which one I'd choose. Actually I went out to the pubs and bars of Long Eaton one Saturday night around 15 years ago as one of my friends was living there. I vaguely recall lots of double takes because one of my friends is Indian. I also recall a bloke with a mullet winking at me. Not my type. Being male.

#7 2021-10-04 15:36:56

Yuca

But no violence witnessed so better than most city centres.

Actually I DJed at a couple of Latin events in Long Eaton some years ago. Good time had by all as I recall.

#8 2021-10-04 15:41:18

A Fine Sadness

Chesterfield this lunchtime: a good many young, aggressive males roaming around.  Wouldn't fancy it at night.

#9 2021-10-04 15:42:58

An Unseen Scene

Sunspel is very much summer weight polo and after a couple developed snags in thin air, I'm off them now for me.

#10 2021-10-04 15:48:47

Yuca

Aren't all polos summer weight? If I need something heavier than a polo I wear long sleeves.

I've not had any snags on my Sunspels but it's good to have something new to worry about.

#11 2021-10-04 16:21:59

An Unseen Scene

I guess it is the mesh weave of their polo's, they say themselves it is a lighter style of polo on the website whereas supima ot the usual pique is often thicker. Pique especially can be in various thicknesses as you know. Polos worn in country sports and especially fishing are often heavier weight.

Wolsey in Leicester make good polos (not the golf ones), not sure if still made there. Did not have a logo when I bought them a few years ago.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2021-10-04 16:26:33)

#12 2021-10-05 00:01:29

RobbieB

Made in Portugal is okay for me. I went there a few years ago to attend a wedding and had a great time. We spent a few weeks travelling around and loved it. Historically strong connections between England and Portugal. Bloody difficult language to try and understand.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#13 2021-10-05 14:59:50

Yuca

Portugal is on my list of places that I would love to visit. And Portuguese is on my list of languages I'd like to learn, although in my case I'd be learning the S American variant. It's a toss up between that, Italian or French. The latter would be the hardest for me but I'm tempted nonetheless.

#14 2021-10-05 15:43:50

A Fine Sadness

I'm pretty sure our Gibson has been to Lisbon for work purposes.

#15 2021-10-05 15:53:37

Yuca

Could make a good limerick.

#16 2021-10-05 16:50:51

Yuca

There was a young man named Gibson,
Who for work purposes found himself in Lisbon.
His clothes drew admiring looks,
And by day he sold books,
Whilst at night he read Talk Ivy and Ibsen.

Last edited by Yuca (2021-10-05 16:51:17)

#17 2021-10-06 01:46:07

Skipper

I've always wore Lacoste polo shirts since I was a kid. Unfortunately, the quality has decreased significantly in recent years and is no longer in proportion to the price. That's why I switched to Trigema, which has been manufacturing in Germany for 100 years. The quality is better than the current Lacoste and they cost half as much.

https://www.trigema.de/Poloshirt-DELUXE-Piqu-navy-L.html

#18 2021-10-06 02:40:24

A Fine Sadness

Trigema should be looked into.  Thanks, Skipper.

#19 2022-03-02 11:06:26

AFS

Cross Creek look fine.  There are several being offered on Ebay.

#20 2022-03-02 12:58:28

Kingston1an

A pocket on a polo shirt will lose shape after the first wash. I would not use it anyway.

Lands End Supima long sleeve tailored fit in navy or burgundy looks good. Decent collars. Not made in countries specified though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#21 2022-03-02 13:02:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Not keen on the Citroen symbol on those Trigema shirts.

Uniqlo is the way to go.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#22 2022-03-02 13:45:42

Spendthrift

Another vote for Lands End from me. Their standard piques wash and wear great. No logo. Easily the equal of standard RL’s. And usually a steal as they have more Sales than DFS.

As Kingston1an says, no good if country of origin is a priority

#23 2022-03-02 16:05:24

AlveySinger

When it comes to Polo shirts I have tried most of the usual suspects.

If it's the tennis style the best I have had, by far, is Brooks. Superb fit and the collar stayed sharp. Ralph full price shirts as opposed to outlets are still pretty good. Lacoste have great colours but the collars on the current shirts go weak after a few wears.

But by far the best option is down the road from you in Matlock. Smedley sea island polo shirts at £30 each are superb. Lightweight, great collar proportions that look pin sharp under a jacket and usually some good colour options. I bulk buy when they do a promotion and always have a few Navy short and long sleeve shirts on the go in Summer.

#24 2022-03-03 05:05:17

Skipper

Woofboxer:"Not keen on the Citroen symbol on those Trigema shirts.

Uniqlo is the way to go."

Yes, the logo is ugly. But since it is tone on tone, it is hardly noticeable. I'll take a look at the Uniqlo polos too.

#25 2022-03-03 05:35:57

AFS

'UCOF' did a decent polo years ago.  Has anyone tried 'Clique'?  I bought one in a charity shop the other week.  I doubt if it'll see much wear.  'Campus' I've given away. 
Alvey's comments on Smedley noted.  But USA-made Ralph Lauren take some beating.

Board footer