You are not logged in.

#26 2022-03-03 05:36:58

AFS

Re: As Of Now: The Best Polo Shirt

^ Bugger it, that should be UCOB.

#27 2022-03-03 05:51:25

RobbieB

One of my favourite polo shirts is a white John Smedley sea Island cotton and made in England of course. Great collar but the smedley sizing means that medium is tight. Looks good when I'm in shape but any hint of a beer gut ruins the whole effect.
I also like Fred Perry made in England polos. FP gets a bad rap here but what's so special about Lacoste in comparison ?

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#28 2022-03-03 06:00:47

Spendthrift

I think 'Clique' is a brand that's sold a lot through sites like Workwear Express. Along with fleeces, and chef and freezer worker gear. Corporate wear easily printed with logos etc. As are Fruit of The Loom and Russell

They offer different prices depending on whether you're buying 1 or 50 items, so if you're in the market for 27 navy blue size M polo shirts, you're on a winner.

Alvey's right about those Smedley sea islands though.

FP I used to wear a lot, but got fed up with the shrinkage. I've still got one or two that never did shrink, but they're too variable for me.

Lacoste I've never been able to wear, being long in body. Even brand new they look like they've shrunk on me.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-03-03 06:03:32)

#29 2022-03-03 07:32:07

Patrick

It's boring but I've settled on LL Bean and/or Lands End polos. No logos, sturdy, lots of colors, often on sale. I've got a stack of XLs and a reserve stack of Ls for when I dip below 175 pounds. Which should be any day now haha

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#30 2022-03-04 02:54:15

Tomiskinky

Yuca: If you can tolerate made in Portugal then Sunspel is the way to go. Personally I only get them when the price is reduced. Very good quality in my experience

Heading up to the Sunspel sample sale later, usually find a few gems for pocket friendly prices - have picked up a few Riviera’s, stripe tees and Cuban collared options from there over the years.

#31 2022-03-04 10:42:49

Yuca

Lucky you. Find anything?

some sort of banal legitimacy

#32 2022-03-04 11:22:24

Tomiskinky

Yuca, there was mucho, but I actually went to get some gifts for friends joint birthday this weekend. I was mighty tempted by some merino wool l/s polo shirts, lots of s/s too and some wonderful Made in England chunky cable knits. In the end I just stocked up on cheap pants and a black belt with a bronze buckle for myself and the 2 items for friends (and Long Eaton made).

They also had navy Trickers chukkas

We are very lucky there are these sales close to us. The old Aquascutum sale shop is now an outlet, selling off all sort, they have a stock of Brooks Bros goods (last trip I found a US made white Oxford for a mate - £10) this time they had Pantharella socks £10, Original Monty duffles £99 and loads of Johnson’s of Elgin knitwear.

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2022-03-04 11:30:53)

#33 2022-03-04 11:24:38

AFS

^ Nice.

#34 2022-03-04 12:37:28

Yuca

Good work.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#35 2022-03-05 01:44:25

AFS

I'm expecting a Cross Creek to turn up today.  Will report back. 
TRS told me they were sold at Russell Street and are nice shirts.

#36 2022-03-05 14:35:02

oxford cloth button down

I’m with Patrick. Bean or Lands End is the way to go. Mesh cotton polos. All the right colors. Cheap enough.

#37 2022-05-17 14:42:38

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Another one to try: a popup advert for a company called Rise and Fall. According to the blurb they’re rising, as makers of good quality polo shirts. These are £37 and there’s a lot of blurb about how they are as good as Sunspel polos, but only a third of the price. I feel that when the best thing a manufacturer can say about their product is that it’s as good as that sold by someone else, who they go on to name, then there’s a slightly hollow ring to the advertisement.
The polos look alright in their pictures, but of course that doesn’t tell you how they feel and fit and what they are like when you’ve worn them several times. They are 100% cotton, no detail on where they are made except that they use the same manufacturer as other brands , so I presume China.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#38 2022-05-17 14:59:59

AlveySinger

I have only had one Sunspel Riveria polo shirt. Worst polo shirt I've ever owned. Colour ran after two washes and the navy was too close to black. So from a personal perspective saying it's as good as is pretty low praise.

Just to clarify my views I am a massive fan of their merino wool polo shirts and have quite a few that I wear under a sports coat for work. I have never encountered a problem with these.

Best polo for me is Brooks factory outlet.

#39 2022-05-17 15:12:23

AFS

Cross Creek
Peter Geeson
USA-made Ralph Lauren
USA-made Lacoste (I weakened)

#40 2022-05-17 15:18:03

Spendthrift

Woof - I’ve seen those ads too and have the same feeling as you. There’s something about those customer testimonials that doesn’t ring true to me.

Years ago I had a mate who had a sideline as an extra. I’d often see him popping up on adverts being stopped on the street and being persuaded to taste a new chocolate bar/cereal/fizzy drink. Always overwhelmed at how tasty or great value it was.

At the price they’re often offered at, for a bread and butter polo, I think Lands End are hard to beat.

#41 2022-06-19 10:47:26

AFS

Wore my long-sleeved Peter Geeson today, beneath a natural shoulder, lightweight wool Hilfiger jacket.  I make an exception for Cross Creek but otherwise long-sleeved are a must for me: fancying myself Jack The Lad back in 1976 I had my forearms inked.  I hate these signs and symbols of my misspent youth so much I take pains to prevent anyone from seeing them.  So, a John Smedley has just cropped up and I might well bite.  Can't get excited about them but one is on Ebay marked as 'Belper'.  I don't believe they were ever in this old textile town, although Jaeger and Tootal certainly were.  But the town, textile-wise, is a shadow of its former self and is a touch poncy into the bargain.

#42 2022-06-21 00:38:04

Horace

Chums.

When I would roll Through airports or cities in Europe I used to stop by and get a Lacoste on occasion.

More recently, I’ve been very pleased with the solid and striped polo shirts from press and Andover.

They are made in Peru — and probably from the looks of it the other men shops like O’Connells also carry them and private label them. They are under $100 each, less on sale. And I find them well-made and the colors good.

The striped ones seem to of made a resurgence as I recall them being popular in the era of GHW Bush’s Presidency.

I didn’t like them then but am now more welcoming.

They don’t look like those horrible golf shirts that salesman often wear in casual offices.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#43 2022-06-21 01:30:49

Runninggeez

They are made in Peru

I have a few of the later Lacoste's which were/are made in Peru and the the quality is very good.

Just as good as those that were made in France.

#44 2022-06-21 01:47:15

AFS

Long sleeves
100 per cent cotton
Made In England, the USA, Italy, France, elsewhere in Europe.  Hong Kong at a pinch.
No logo of any description

Ideal

#45 2022-06-21 01:55:35

Horace

Apparently — don’t take my memory for gospel — but US and England lack
Machinery to make the pique shirt now?  I remember a shop selling cricket gear and the
Guy told me the shirts were the last of the English made.  I think marketed for lawn bowling
Or Badminton or something as well.  Can’t recall name of shop.

Don’t know sitch in UK but I fear in USA  made suits and shirts and shoes will continue to be niche.  (Hell, the suit might be niche now).

Why is it that Scottish tweed seems to continue to be strong?

I have heard that some companies investing a lot in infrastructure to make technical clothing in US
Might be something there if they can get military contracts.  I would’ve been bullish pre-pandemic under trumps policies (whether that feeling was well-founded or not, I don’t know).  Don’t know about now.

I prefer the smoother knit of the striped Press/Andover offerings
Anyway now. 

For Sunspel:  had some t-shirts that were fantastic.  Are their polos all made in Portugal? 

I’ve appreciated Portuguese flannel and have read the Portuguese are pretty good at making cloth and
Have invested a lot in new automation. beans Portuguese flannel sheets are good.  I thought move to Portugal was about labor costs in EU.  maybe that’s part of it? 

I’ve always tried to avoid China I’d I could. But where to get reasonably priced good boxers? 

I’d get a dozen boxers at Brooks on sale with monogram.  Poncey perhaps but great cut.  And I’m back on monograms.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#46 2022-06-21 01:56:48

Horace

AFS:  but is anyone making polo shirts in those countries anymore in the >>correct<< cut?  The Peruvian not bad at all.  Rather good.

Last edited by Horace (2022-06-21 01:57:46)

#47 2022-06-21 04:36:02

AFS

I believe Sunspel, like Geeson, were made on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border.  A fair amount was made of them years ago but more recent reports suggest a decline in quality. 
Didn't RL manufacture their polo shirts in Peru at one time?

#48 2022-06-22 01:14:59

AFS

USA-made Lacoste, in my possession until recently, wasn't half bad, being in plain, dazzling white.
For good quality pique, however, the old USA-made Ralph Lauren items (pocket, no logo) are hard to beat.

#49 2022-06-22 13:57:47

AFS

Anyone bought Allen Solly?  One of our former posters mentioned them manufacturing for Brooks.

#50 2022-11-30 11:09:10

FlatSixC

My standard lounging at home gear includes a navy blue polo shirt, recently I noticed that two no longer passed muster so I looked to obtain replacements from Uniqlo, my go-to polo supplier. However none were available in the Kingston branch and so it transpired, every other branch or online. It would seem that they no longer offer them, whether this is temporary due to those Covid lockdowns and riots in China I don’t know but I started looking into other sources. There are a plethora of companies that will supply polo shirts or tees by the dozen marked up with the logo of your business. However some will supply as few as one polo shirt, sans logo. One such company I found are Go-Custom Clothing who offer a wide selection of polos by different makers, including Fruit of the Loom and Russell. Their top of the range polo is the Russell Ultimate Classic at £20.50 ,they looked good so I ordered two. Early impressions are very good; 100% cotton, decent weight cloth and nicely made with well finished seams. Comfortable fit, 3 button (would have preferred two), sensible length with splits at the side of the hem. A couple of washes in and they are looking and feeling even better with no shrinkage. A dozen or so colours on offer.

https://www.gocustomclothing.com/5-polo-shirts?fabric-type=100-cotton&page=3

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-11-30 11:10:11)

Board footer