You are not logged in.

#51 2022-12-01 11:25:38

RobbieB

Re: As Of Now: The Best Polo Shirt

FlatSixC- The Go-Custom polos seem like a bargain. I tend to lounge around in t shirts and only wear short sleeved polos in the summer. My cheap Uniqlo long sleeved polos I wear in Autumn/Spring time under a jacket.
I reckon Uniqlo has cleared its shelves of all but winter gear. On my last visit the shop was stacked out with winter coats of all variations. My missus bought a padded long coat which to my eyes didn't do her any favours but she sarcastically said ' It's the fashion, init?'

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#52 2022-12-02 01:58:53

FlatSixC

Robbie - ‘ My missus bought a padded long coat which to my eyes didn't do her any favours but she sarcastically said ' It's the fashion, init?'

… just be honest and tell me what you think (as long as it’s good).

Yes, my wife has got one of those coats and they are unfortunately rather un-stylish, but fashionable. I guess they’re pretty warm too, but I’m always reminded of those insulating jackets people used to wrap around their hot water tank.

#53 2022-12-02 04:02:30

RobbieB

HaHa. Yes it looked like an insulating jacket. Luckily I talked her out of one of the more lurid colours and she bought a dark navy one

#54 2022-12-02 07:42:24

Staxfan

Are they the long padded coats with no sleeves ? I see a woman at the gym recently wearing one, I thought it looked hideous, but what do I know about ladies fashion ....

#55 2022-12-05 19:33:36

Dulouz

I've been wearing polo shirts under quarter zipper jumpers quite a bit so far this winter. It's an effective look, had a green one on today with a beaming white RL polo underneath. Sporty, yet competent enough around the office now that the jacket and tie look is effectively dead. At least for the time being.

#56 2022-12-07 09:39:13

AlveySinger

I wear polo shirts throughout the Summer months and over the years I have tried a number of options.

Sadly it appears to be one of those areas where you find something you like and then the manufacturer tinkers with the cut, country of origin or quality far too frequently.

Brooks polo shirts were very good up until a few years ago. The pique was slightly heavier and kept its shape.

I have had a number of RLP polo shirts and they have been pretty good but occasionally you get one that somehow doesn't last as long.

Tried the Sunspel Riveria in navy and to be honest the colour ran far too quickly. Shame as I'm a big fan of their merino shirts.

Lacoste have got the ivy credentials but I find their classic fit a bit peculiar. Get the body right but the around the collar is slightly baggy.

My advice is simple. Focus on fit and don't spend too much. Polo shirts are always going to be around so even if they falter they will be pretty easy to replace.

Better still have a weekend away in the lovely Peak District, visit the Smedley factory shop and stock up on bargains that will see you through countless summers. (They also sell ladies knitwear to keep your partners happy.)

#57 2022-12-13 20:24:55

Dulouz

''I have had a number of RLP polo shirts and they have been pretty good but occasionally you get one that somehow doesn't last as long.'' The Classic fit, slightly faded ones in their webshop have the thickest pique at the moment. They're priced quite a bit higher than the other fits and o think it's the more weightier cloth.

#58 2022-12-14 10:09:02

AlveySinger

Dulouz,

Before releasing any hard earned on these I would recommend seeing them in the flesh. There are so many RLP variants now for such a simple wardrobe staple. It's mind boggling. You have got more patience than I have to sift through them

#59 2022-12-14 20:12:35

Dulouz

^I've bought most of the fits recently. I stated Classic above, it's actually the Original fit.

For me, the Custom Slim Fit is to be worn not tucked-in, the larger fits tucked in. Very different looks.

#60 2022-12-15 09:47:07

RobbieB

I have a Brooks Brothers polo shirt with a top pocket. Very similar to a Riviera Sunspel polo. Never seen another one. Good but I don't smoke and the top pocket not needed but a good polo.

Missus wore her Uniqlo padded coat today when we took the dog for a walk. She said ' I know I look like Michelin Man but it is warm' no mention of 'its the fashion  innit' She looked good though.

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-12-15 09:49:14)

#61 2022-12-15 10:03:08

Dulouz

''I have a Brooks Brothers polo shirt with a top pocket. Very similar to a Riviera Sunspel polo. Never seen another one. Good but I don't smoke and the top pocket not needed but a good polo.''

Good place to put your sunglass clip-ons.

#62 2023-01-13 00:55:05

Horace

I remember the RL polo pique shirt with pocket. 

Must’ve been late 80’s ?

Around time or shortly before RL did the <<Big Shirt>> line which was somewhat oversized Oxford BD’s and polo shirts

Logo on tail. Not on chest. 

The oxfords mirror’d an early look not too long before of preppies going oversized on oxfords.  Not
freakishly so.  But enough to notice.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#63 2023-01-13 01:07:02

Horace

AFS — Allen Solly. Didn’t know they private labeled for Brooks at one time
Have experience ages ago with them.  Good impression.

F Me if I didn’t get a Press polo that was horrible recently.  Can’t remember when I bought but threw it New in bag in my luggage and on a trip put it on.  Size L but sleeves must’ve been 2XL.  Broke just past the elbow. 

To my knowledge I’ve got no physical disfigurement.  Not have the ol’ arms shortened or chest expanded.
But this thing looks ridiculous. 

Now it’s only one out or about a dozen that wasn’t good. 

But a lesson to me - and I’m sure i won’t learn it:  always check the goods you buy sooner rather than later.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#64 2023-03-16 06:33:06

FlatSixC

Last time I went to restock on Uniqlo polos I found that the quality was much diminished and the polyester quotient had been upped to 70%. So I experimented with Russell polos from GDB, a school and workwear supplier, 100% cotton classic cut, acceptable weight and quality. They’ve stood up well to washing with little fading or shrinkage.

The last remaining Uniqlo ones were at the end of the road so it was time for a re-issue and three more Russells ordered and delivered from GDB for a the massive total of £45.

https://gdbclothing.co.uk/shop/polo-shirts/j569m-classic-cotton-pique-polo/

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-03-16 06:34:23)

#65 2023-03-16 11:13:46

AlveySinger

I plan on ordering an LL Bean with pocket polo shirt. Navy or dark green.

Not sure when as the weather in Birmingham at the moment is pretty awful.

I genuinely feel that polo shirts are the one sure-fire area where brands bugger about a lot. Different manufacturing sources, specs and radical changes in fit.

I have just purchased a Hatford polo shirt with pocket in a lovely slub cotton material. In most brands I'm a medium but in Hartford I'm an XL.

#66 2023-03-17 04:52:54

Staxfan

I popped into John Lewis in Reading yesterday, (they do some good knitwear under their own label), there was a very nice looking s/s polo shirt amongst their display , I looked it up on their website and its cotton/linen with a ribbed hem, (like a smedley if memory serves me), £45, I guess they are at the smart end of polos, probably more suited to wear with chinos than shorts, unfortunately they only have them in 2 colours, a mid blue and ( I guess) a light-ish burgundy colour, I'm ok for polos but if I was in the market I seriously consider these,

#67 2023-03-17 07:40:35

RobbieB

Good spot on the polo shirts Stax. I'm not really in the market for a polo shirt but I like these. The plum coloured shirt is called Rhododendron!
I was in JL last Friday and I was also impressed with their own label knitwear. Incidentally Jake is producing a shirt (not polo) in a cotton linen mix for the summer.

#68 2023-03-17 07:58:27

Tworussellstreet

For me there are only 3 models that look right with the Ivy Look -
1) the classic Lacoste
2) Ralph's version with the short chunky placket and small collar
3) John Smedley sea island cotton with the classic 'mod' long collar
I've tried others but they just don't harmonise with natural shoulder.

#69 2023-03-17 10:39:25

AlveySinger

2RS

As a Hill Rise/Russell Street employee you probably came across loads of different brands, what was your experience of Cross Creek and Duck Head polo shirts at the time?

Whilst I'm a massive Ralph fanboy I would always stress seeing any merchandise in the flesh. He tends to fiddle around with material/fit/country of origin so much. I guess it's the down side of being such a massive, highly fragmented brand. What can be great one year can be awful the next.

#70 2023-03-17 13:21:11

Tomiskinky

For those in the smoke, there’s a Sunspel sample sale on in Hackney.

The Riviera polos are well priced and they had other knitted polos too. Lots on nice underwear and knitwear too.

#71 2023-03-18 04:26:59

Tworussellstreet

Alvey - I recall the Cross Creeks were solid, well made in the USA, but just lacked that certain something. It's hard to pin down - the old Ralph polos, particularly when made in USA, were so well made and just aged well. Another thing is that the polo shirt was still not that widely worn in the 80s, which seems hard to believe but it's true, so a Lacoste or Polo still had a certain cache. Duckhead were always solid but a bit straight - very bland middle American stuff. The USA Russell Athletic pocket T was another summer item all J.Simons staffers universally admired.

#72 2023-03-20 04:50:12

AlveySinger

I used to love the Russell t-shirts with the label at the bottom left on the outside of the shirts. Elavated the simple T.

#73 2023-03-23 19:02:19

Dulouz

''...so a Lacoste or Polo still had a certain cache.''

Thinking back, I don't remember anyone wearing Lacoste or RL until around '86/87. RL were relatively expensive until just before the mid-90s when they became ubiquitous all of a sudden.

I see in the Classic fit polos, RL are doing not only well washed look versions, but frayed and repaired with different colour cotton. One step too far for me.

#74 2023-03-24 10:32:31

AlveySinger

The first time I saw mention of Ralph Lauren was in '82.

Blues and Soul ran a picture of the legendary remixer/producer Arthur Baker wearing a Ralph polo shirt with a caption along the lines that he was earning so much money he could afford to buy more Lauren shirts.

The reason this sticks in my mind was I thought it was a typo and they meant Yves Saint Laurent. How superior I felt spotting the obvious mistake. How little I knew as a fifteen year old.

#75 2023-08-15 12:34:43

An Unseen Scene

Community Clothing are now doing polo shirts in seven colours. Fabric looks decent, made in UK but with a logo. The logo isn't garish and hard to argue with the word 'community'.£45 is the price.

https://communityclothing.co.uk/collections/mens-t-shirts-tops

Board footer