You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

#526 2024-01-15 03:49:35

FlatSixC

Re: What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Kingy - ‘ No lining on the Kamakura jacket either. Weejun describes donning/removing jacket when wearing a corduroy shirt as like tackling velcro.’

I must have skipped over that bit, who would wear a corduroy shirt under a corduroy jacket? Double cord’ing has to be worse than double denim'ing!

3 or 4 years ago, when I last bought a couple of Kamakura Ivy shirts, they were nice and roomy, akin to a Brooks Makers. But I was disappointed by the latest Ivy shirt iteration when I ordered a chambray and a light denim button down from Kamakura’s current Ivy range, via All Blues. The cut was off for me as they seem to have gone slim-fit. It was easy enough to return them to All Blues who are a good company if you go down the online order route.

#527 2024-01-15 06:01:15

Kingston1an

I only wear corduroy on my legs. So the shirt/jacket combination would never be something I have to worry about.

Not sure about navy corduroy either. It's a rather formal colour. Having five navy corduroy jackets is another thing I will never have to worry about. Using proxies is another; along with spending all money on clothes leaving me unable to pay the rent.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2024-01-15 06:02:19)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#528 2024-01-15 15:18:38

AlveySinger

I really like cord jackets but I'm mindful of the teacher connotations.

I think they work best when dressed down. Worn with chambray shirts, heavier chinos and chucka boots.

I did try to dress one up a bit and felt like I was on my way to moan at the lower sixth for playing their music too loud.

#529 2024-01-16 06:22:47

Kingston1an

My Kamakura is not arriving. Mistake on the website. Not in stock in my size. I went for a refund.

Striped shirt not on US site either. I thought they might have found some stock hidden away.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#530 2024-01-18 07:09:47

Staxfan

Peter Christian 5 pocket navy drill strides, their website has a good sizing guide including thigh width, hem width etc, I sized up to a 34" waist to get the extra inch or so in the thigh and the hem, a little roomy in the waist, but everywhere else I think they work , although the hem is not 8" , ( more like 7 3/4"), and the inside leg is a full inch longer than ordered, but not deal breakers, the 5 pocket cords look ok but the current colours are, let's say, not to my taste, so a decent pair of knock-about strides for £50,(full price), free shipping , free returns. As long as they pass the 'baggy arse' test from the Mrs they'll be staying.

#531 2024-01-18 09:31:44

An Unseen Scene

I live in the drill trousers from PC when not currently in their moleskins or smarter trousers. They are genuinely good value and last for ages.

#532 2024-01-19 01:16:35

Staxfan

The strides passed the ‘ baggy arse’ test, they’ve been washed, just need hemming and then into service,
AUS - thanks for your comments, I think you maybe commented positively  on PC a. while back which I had in mind
when I was looking,

#533 2024-01-19 05:51:21

An Unseen Scene

I'm banned from the mustard and red brick colour drill jeans by Mrs Unseen. I like the other colours, nice to get them in green.  These are another item such as I described with the M&S shawl collar range, where I've got four pairs of navy, three of green, two of the cream and one of the tan. In summer I migrate to chinos, but rest of the time these work for casual or work these days.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2024-01-19 12:50:16)

#534 2024-01-19 12:46:32

colin
Bright Light

bought an old British made camel coloured duffle coat for a whopping £6.50.

No measurements so went solely on pictures and lucked out. My only worry is the shoulder isn't especially natural. However, I'm hoping my DIY skills will stand me in good stead to risk altering. Also going to change the leather and horn toggles for lighter coloured jute and wood. No loss really if it doesn't go to plan!

#535 2024-01-20 03:31:08

RobbieB

Stax- do you always wash new drill strides? Is it to allow for shrinkage before alterations?

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#536 2024-01-20 06:57:50

Staxfan

Robbie- I always wash any trousers before they get hemmed, the lady who usually does the hemming agrees it’s best to, just thinking about the last strides I bought that were dry clean only, must be at least 10-12 years ago, Brooks Brothers outlet in Bicester,

#537 2024-01-22 06:29:56

Kingston1an

" an old British made camel coloured duffle coat for a whopping £6.50.

No measurements so went solely on pictures and lucked out. My only worry is the shoulder isn't especially natural. However, I'm hoping my DIY skills will stand me in good stead to risk altering. Also going to change the leather and horn toggles for lighter coloured jute and wood. No loss really if it doesn't go to plan!["

I did not think shoulders were a problem on duffel coats. They are a relaxed fit anyway. Padded shoulders don't bother me on coats. Various Crombies and a British Warm with epaulettes for example. I do have a raglan sleeve Crombie as well.

Anyway I mix and match British stuff and Ivy.

I would not have the patience for making alterations either.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2024-01-22 06:31:34)

#538 2024-01-22 06:58:40

Half Mast

Just dug out my old camel-coloured duffel coat from my college days in the late 70s (tagged "Montana, made in England").

It still fits (just) but now looks more Thom Browne than "Monty" wink

Been promising myself a Gloverall; next year maybe.

#539 2024-01-22 09:22:57

An Unseen Scene

I like Gloverall as everyone knows, another made in UK option for duffles is at https://www.dufflecoatsuk.co.uk/collections/mens

#540 2024-01-22 12:12:35

colin
Bright Light

Kingy, you're right. I was using 'natural' shoulder here as shorthand. Basically, it's the way it was put together means there's effectively a chunky 'sleevehead' which extended the shoulderline on me. I just cut the excess material, so a 10 minute job. Not perfect, bit a coat to wear whilst pushing my kids on the swings, so not precious. Looks good with a Shetland, scarf, denim, and off white canvas trainers

#541 2024-01-23 13:17:21

FlatSixC

Kingston1an - I like Gloverall as everyone knows, another made in UK option for duffles is at https://www.dufflecoatsuk.co.uk/collections/mens

If you go on the Montgomery duffle coats site they are one and the same as the one you posted Kingy. I bought a Montgomery a few years ago and I’ve been very pleased with it. Both brands claim to be *the* original.

#542 2024-01-24 07:30:25

Kingston1an

New duffle coats are expensive £500ish.

Even the new fangled short ones.

Peter Christian offer Duffles now. I suppose if you search you can find less expensive options.

#543 2024-01-24 08:56:29

colin
Bright Light

....that's why I was happy enough with my sub £10 purchase. Not worth spending proper money on like some of the menswear influence types seem to do...

#544 2024-01-24 11:57:02

Kingston1an

Colin,

You are right to do so. Overcoats are plentiful and often better quality bought used. There is no market for them. Bargains a plenty.

#545 2024-02-01 03:15:35

RobbieB

Walking along the high street yesterday, with a cold wind blowing off the Thames, I felt cold. As I passed yet another charity shop I spotted a box on the pavement full of hats and scarves. Right at the top was a cashmere scarf, that looked unworn, for 99p!  A 'gem' in a pile of polyester.
I bought the scarf and was 'toasty' all the way home. Needless to say, my missus in Finland put the mockers on the purchase by pointing out that ' moths love a bit of Cashmere' We shall see

Last edited by RobbieB (2024-02-01 03:16:51)

#546 2024-02-01 04:02:03

Half Mast

The moths certainly love my Smedleys. I'm starting to look a bit like Albert Steptoe.

Stick it in a bag and pop it in the freezer overnight. That will kill off any lurking lavae.

#547 2024-02-01 11:53:18

RobbieB

Thanks Half Mast. Good advice. I was with a cousin today who is 76 and was a 1960s mod and he was shocked that I put the scarf on straight away without having it cleaned. My standards must be slipping.

#548 2024-02-01 11:58:59

Staxfan

Robbie - I concur with your cousin, get a grip son , haha

#549 2024-02-01 12:14:15

RobbieB

Stax- HaHa. You are right I need to get a grip. What I didn't tell was that after my purchase I felt I was on a roll and went into a second charity shop. I ended up 'fingering' an old Ben Sherman but, luckily, I came to my senses, made my excuses and quickly left

#550 2024-02-02 01:24:00

FlatSixC

Robbie - ‘ I felt I was on a roll and went into a second charity shop. I ended up 'fingering' an old Ben Sherman but, luckily, I came to my senses, made my excuses and quickly left’

Haha! This makes me think of a conversation currently taking place over on the Book of Faces, Ivy page. Some chap, who calls himself Head Skinn, has started producing poly/cotton shirts which are essentially a repro of 60s/70s Ben Sherman or Brutus shirts. He is promoting them on the Ivy page and trying to say that they are ‘Ivy’

Last edited by FlatSixC (2024-02-02 09:21:55)

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Board footer