You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

#51 2021-12-22 08:01:40

RobbieB

Re: What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Blimey AFS your credit card must be taking a bit of a bashing. I've never got into eBay myself. Not sure I could trust myself.
I'm listening to Christmas hymns, mainly to keep others happy.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#52 2021-12-22 08:10:04

A Fine Sadness

Robbie, you're probably wise to be honest.  Buying on Ebay ran me into debt by 2011.  My wife reminds me of this from time to time.  But I'm an inveterate bargain-hunter.  Ebay can be good fun and I learned my lesson.  I've bought four shirts this week, though - two more, another Ralph Lauren and an interesting-looking chambray Gant (a few years old, I should think) - are on their way.  There was also the blazer, which was a bit of an impulse buy.  They're the worse. 
Come the New Year, though, I'll probably hold off buying until my weight drops.  Eating a lot of fish and shellfish at the moment.

#53 2021-12-22 08:39:20

RobbieB

I can recommend eating fish and seafood .Good luck with the weight control. I haven't eaten meat for nearly 40 years. Only recently has my weight crept up and that's down to alcohol. Giving up alcohol would be a step too far but luckily I'm not an alcoholic. I do know plenty who are.

#54 2021-12-22 09:43:48

Staxfan

Plenty of self bought Chrissie pressies there AFS ! Robbie you can't talk with all your ' bargains' from TK Maxx , haha, couldn't agree more with Robbie re the fish eating, I still eat meat but if I'm eating our the choice is usually fish, I try for 3 booze free days a week, usually achieve it, I've lost almost a stone since the first lockdown, I can only put it down to a ( slight) increase in exercise, went against my own advice on the recent trip to Chiltern St and bought a 32" waist pair of trousers,(usually a 34"), they only had the 1 pair no other sizes, the fit is great, maybe an incentive to keep the timber off,

#55 2022-01-05 07:37:45

A Fine Sadness

A Grenfell shooting coat.  Grampian wool.  It came - for an incredibly reasonable £25 - from a couple of rather charming Ebay sellers.  Nothing much 'Ivy League' about it, I don't suppose, but it looks like one of those items Brooks, Press, The Andover Shop or Paul Stuart might have offered forty-odd years ago.

#56 2022-01-05 07:50:27

Kingston1an

A Grenfell shooting coat sounds like British country attire. They usually have great, copious pockets.

Once again they don’t need vindication from US retailers, though I realise country attire is anathema to some on here.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#57 2022-01-05 07:56:46

Kingston1an

There is an Andover shop in Seinfeld - but it is in New York. Staffed by a dodgy, English chancer with a ponytail. Seinfeld buys a blazer with a crest, then unsuccessfully attempts to return it.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#58 2022-01-05 08:11:58

A Fine Sadness

KingstonIan is quite right about the pockets: dead rabbit territory. 
Not decided how to play it yet, up or down.

#59 2022-01-05 09:40:52

AlveySinger

AFS,
Yes. there's definitely a crossover in traditional country attire and American Trad.
My take on it, for what it's worth, is that the UK country/outerwear brands are typically really good quality - Barbour, Grenfell, Chrysallis, still manufactured in the UK and have technical details like moleskin pockets that reinforce their "Proper" credentials.
I love Barbour. In my book it's more about practicality than connotations.

#60 2022-01-05 09:43:51

A Fine Sadness

Yes, I'd wear a Barbour in black or navy.  Never green now. 
I think the sellers may have had difficulty with the Grenfell because, in the photographs, it looked purple instead of mid-brown.  It's a very handsome coat.

#61 2022-01-05 12:57:49

colin
Bright Light

Picked up a lovely salmon pink shetland recently - made by Jamieson (in the sales) - which really is first rate. To my mind, the best new shetland jumper, with the perfect details (collar, sleeves, length, not too baggy arms etc). Would strongly recommend. Think it's the same colour as the ones Leith used to have made all those years ago.

Brooks merchants and makers blue/white university stripe. Few of my old makers collars are at the point of destruction and it's pretty much only ever white or white/blue shirts I wear under shetland jumpers for some reason. This shirt isn't as good as the older makers, for sure, and I'm trying to work out whether the collar has light lining or whether it's just a heavy weight cotton like some brooks I have. But picked up at a low price and will last for best part of a decade or so!

#62 2022-01-06 06:07:24

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Three hard to obtain Silver and Blakey CDs from Oxfam, preloved but in excellent order as they check them quite rigorously. Listening to them now.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#63 2022-01-06 06:18:22

A Fine Sadness

I'm anticipating some Live Ellington.  My Dad would have been proud of me.

#64 2022-01-11 13:22:54

A Fine Sadness

Crown Aristocraft black wingtips.  Now buffed a treat.  Soles and heels in far better condition than expected.  £20, including postage.

#65 2022-01-14 07:20:15

A Fine Sadness

March 1955 'Esquire'.  Lots of adverts for hats and shoes.  Also suggestions for how to match and accessorize: shirts, ties, belts, links, suits.  They seemed to take it all pretty seriously: rightly so.  Also at least one nice ad - 'Esquire' seemed to go in for this - for rainwear: in fawn or oyster.  Doesn't oyster sound good?

#66 2022-01-15 05:52:33

Spendthrift

Not letter box. But just done my rounds of the local charities.
Gant Wilshire madras with flap pocket in pink/blue. Will be put away to go with those ecru needle cords I don’t have yet.
Tommy H bd purple gingham. Because some sod went and mentioned purple. I can go Tommy if the collar’s big enough with some semblance of roll.
White BD Baggies bd.
£15 the lot

#67 2022-01-15 06:33:34

A Fine Sadness

£15 today netted me a Made In England Aquascutum single-breasted raincoat.  From a charity shop in a particularly dismal area.  Often the way.

#68 2022-01-18 07:50:26

AFS

A fourth item of USA-made Russell Athletic: quarter zip, fleece-lined: a warm-up jacket I guess you'd call it.  It was up for auction on Ebay during the time my wife was enduring a phone conversation with her suburbanite sister and I grew restless.  Ended up at a modest (I think you'll agree) £9.65. 
These - as Alvey said - utilitarian items are not to be despised on a chilly morning, worn beneath a duffle coat.

#69 2022-02-01 01:37:13

AFS

Pro-Keds - marked as a Sample Not For Sale. 
A John Simons golf jacket sample hung around on Ebay for ages, with dozens of watchers.  Around the £100 mark.  Gone now, but I might well have considered it had it not been an S.

#70 2022-02-03 07:31:32

AFS

USA-made Duck Head chambray shirt.  Very nice.

#71 2022-02-03 07:45:36

AFS

Corbin Madras jacket
Bronte waxed jacket
Russell Athletic for L.L.Bean sweatshirt

#72 2022-02-03 09:07:10

RobbieB

Olive Chore Jacket
Merino wool Stewart Tartan Scarf
Dark grey wool Gloves
All from Community Clothing

#73 2022-02-03 09:12:10

AFS

All good, Robbie?

#74 2022-02-03 09:20:30

RobbieB

First class quality. I intend to take the jacket (which is a great fit) back to Finland and eventually use it for working outside. The scarf is surprising long compared with others I have. Gloves again good quality.
I went straight back on the site to check out other stuff.

#75 2022-02-03 12:07:56

Tomiskinky

Havana Leaf Tumble Grain Leather Playtimes from Hutton - can't wear as isolating!

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Board footer