You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

#76 2022-02-04 01:46:16

Staxfan

Re: What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Waiting in anticipation for a pair of navy slim chinos from Community Clothing, ordered Wednesday, delivery tomorrow, my seemingly permanent weight loss has made virtually all my trousers too big, can cover up in winter with sweaters and coats but not so in summer, so ordered my ‘new’ size 32?? , see what they’re like and if good will order more, will report back in due course!

#77 2022-02-04 01:50:38

AFS

Stax, my weight too is diminishing - although I doubt if I'll ever be a 32 again.  Well done, that man.

#78 2022-02-04 03:51:38

Staxfan

AFS - TBH it’s surprised me as I haven’t been on a diet or cut down on the booze , I eat well and healthy and don’t overdo the booze very often these days, but since I fully retired almost 2 years ago ( coinciding with Covid), I’ve exercised a bit more, don’t sit in the car for 2 hours a day, and don’t sit behind a desk for 5-6 hours a day, ( this was semi retired work hours), and I do a pilates class once a week, weirdly I think the pilates helps, but I’ll hold onto the 34 ins trousers in case it all goes wrong !

#79 2022-02-04 03:54:52

Staxfan

Robbie - if as intended you take the chore jacket back to Finland to work outside in it could be the first piece of workwear to be used for its original purpose in at least 15 years I’d say, haha

#80 2022-02-04 03:55:32

AFS

Stax, I still recall with a smile John Simons fitting me for a Keydge jacket at Russell Street with the words, 'Sir has a bit of a tummy'.  Sir wasn't really aware of it then but, by heaven, he has since.  I've more or less followed Yuca's (blunt) dietary advice, giving up both alcohol and soft drinks and taking a good deal more exercise.  It's possible that, come the summer, I might be able to comfortably button my jackets!

#81 2022-02-04 04:08:34

Staxfan

A buttoned jacket is a very good thing,

#82 2022-02-04 04:10:49

AFS

Especially the Corbin: 3/2 roll, soft shoulder, undarted, flap pockets.

#83 2022-02-04 04:20:51

RobbieB

Stax- HaHa You could be right on the chore jacket being used for its original purpose by me but I will give it a run out in Leigh on Sea where, at the weekends, all the big bearded guys, in their work wear come out to play.
Let us know how good the chinos are. I need navy chinos.
I'm the opposite to you guys in that I'm putting on weight . I'm normally 34 waist but everything is getting a bit tight. After a foot injury in  the summer from over training I haven't been able to get fit again

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#84 2022-02-04 05:01:55

Staxfan

Robbie- re chinos, definitely get back to you, I’m optimistic about them, 100% cotton, no stretchy stuff, regarding exercise I’m conscious of not overdoing it to avoid injury, I exercise 4-5 days a week but limit my running to 5k, usually in the gym as less stress on my ageing limbs & joints, BTW - no sightings of the Chinese Lady at the gym for a week or so, but I stay optimistic, haha

#85 2022-02-04 05:41:47

AFS

Stax is aiming to lose less more weight by chasing that Chinese lady round the changing room.

But what if she allows him to catch her?

#86 2022-02-04 08:04:04

Staxfan

If only.....

#87 2022-02-04 08:53:29

RobbieB

I wonder if the Chinese lady knows that she is responsible for Stax having to buy a new wardrobe of clothes? He can't keep away from that gym.

I can only dream of running 5k at the moment. I might be in for a shock if I'm successful in the London marathon ballot this year.

#88 2022-02-05 04:47:53

An Unseen Scene

A few bits this week, it is annual top up clothes week in sales. Got a Gloverall 'Moss jacket' in charcoal. Wife liked it so much she told me to get it in other colours too while cheap. What a result! Very nice, unlined, made in UK.  Good for casual wear in all seasons apart from summer. https://www.gloverall.com/collections/mens-traditional-jackets

Also more Peter Christian drill jeans. Lands End are doing some nice shirts - plain colour flannel BDs (soften a lot after first wash), brushed cotton navy check OCBD, great light blue wide stripe cotton BD. Discounts make these a gimme. Recent shirts gone up in quality and now without any plastic or metal clips in the packing, which I approve of. Very decent quality, gone back up IMHO and collars now back up to a full three finger roll.  Id love to pay £100+ for shirts but I just cannot bring myself to anymore. Did that and still have them for premium work wear, but I'm not going to wear them casually.

The Oxblood gibson shoes in sale made in Portugal arrived and are made in Italy. Wonderful quality, danite sole and end of range so hugely reduced.

That's about me done again for a while.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2022-02-05 05:35:25)

#89 2022-02-05 05:03:23

Spendthrift

That Gloverall jacket looks good in all colours. Go for it before she changes her mind!

I also noticed LE shirts are back up to their former quality. The couple of sail riggers I got lately are really good. It does seem that the tide is turning away from small collars and skinny jeans at last.

#90 2022-02-05 05:14:20

Spendthrift

Another charity shop circuit throws up a DB Baggies grey/blue check and Gant winter twill blue/red.

Failsworth Irish Linen newsboy from TKMaxx at £13

A pair of off white straight cut, high enough rise, good quality, responsibly sourced jeans at a steal from a well known Spanish high street retailer. That I wont name for fear of incurring purist’s wrath.

#91 2022-02-05 06:58:03

AFS

I now need to thin out slightly.  Difficult.  I put together several bags for charity shops in November and December and now have to do so again.

#92 2022-02-05 08:05:30

Staxfan

Robbie - Community Clothing chinos arrived today , they are repacked for return on Monday I'm afraid, first impression of the cloth was it was too smooth, ( slinky ?) to touch, I believe on their website they say they don't wash them anymore in factory, so maybe they'd feel different after a couple of washes, the 32 fitted well in the waist but was too 'neat' round my backside, only one back pocket which I was aware of but no button, small detail but detail non the less, perhaps the loose fit would be better for me but TBH I didn't like the material albeit 100% cotton, I'm not good at returning things but I ask myself would I have bought them in a shop and no I wouldn't , so they will be returned, the workmanship on them looks very good and they might suit others but (unfortunately) not for me, if I'd liked them I would have ordered 2-3 more pairs, Regarding the Chinese Lady I'm sure if she realised I'd been admiring her physique she'd no doubt think I was a soppy lecherous old git, which I probably am, haha

#93 2022-02-05 08:21:52

RobbieB

Cheers Stax--I in had a feeling the CC chinos might not be up to scratch. I had noticed the back pocket detail and wasn't too keen on it myself. I know what you mean by the cotton material as well. I won't bother to buy a pair.

#94 2022-02-12 11:19:44

DuluthandBackAgain

I've been binging:
2 pair of Loake Bedale Boots (Brown Calf and Brown Waxed Suede)
1 pair of Trickers Keswick

Is that a popped collar or are you just happy to see me?

#95 2022-02-12 12:18:25

AFS

A card to tell me some bloody fool has underpaid the postage by £2.

#96 2022-02-12 13:18:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

‘A card to tell me some bloody fool has underpaid the postage by £2.’

Get the seller to cough up, or the the parcel will be winging its way back to them and you will be applying to eBay for a refund.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#97 2022-02-13 04:25:08

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

A navy blue sweatshirt which has ‘Russell Athletic’ embroidered across the chest. Generally I don’t go for clothing with writing on it, but I make an exception for preloved Champion and Russell sweatshirts which I have for dossing about at home in. This one is a classic design for Russel, great quality and reasonably priced. I bought it from a seller called Lee on Depop who I’m happy to recommend on the basis of this transaction.  Here is the link to his site which is worth a look:

https://www.depop.com/search/?q=Heritage%20and%20ivy

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#98 2022-02-13 05:05:40

AFS

Here I am trying my best to 'reclaim Russell' and Woof has to drag its good name back into the primeval swamp.

#99 2022-02-13 05:08:03

AFS

Jesting apart, the USA-made items are exceptionally pleasing.  The last top I bought is a Russell Athletic for L.L.Bean number in marl: my few concessions to poly/cotton.  Something or other gets worn most mornings when I'm out walking.

#100 2022-02-14 05:34:12

AFS

An old, 100 per cent cotton, Swingster Destinations jacket.  It's not unlike a King Louie but is padded.  An incredible £3.50 on the Bay.  I thought it would be Korean made, like my Baracuta trench-coat and sole item of 'English Squire' (picked up at 'Wild' in Nottingham last autumn), but the label says 'Made In Hong Kong'.  So, like my prized Saks Fifth Avenue sports sweater.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Board footer