You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

#101 2022-02-16 08:28:48

Staxfan

Re: What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Had a delivery from 'Stuarts', a pair of navy Norse Projects chinos, 1st impression they're OK, maybe a bit tight round the backside, need to get an opinion from the wife later, other than that the fit is good, medium rise which is fine for me,16" hem, again good, 98/2% but you wouldn't know, loose-ish round the thighs, minor irritation , no buttons on the rear pockets, great service from Stuarts, 20% off (non sale item), free next day delivery,
As an aside I went to their shop in Shepherds Bush back last year, having a chat with the manager, ( I think he use to be the owner), and he told me his father use to have the clothing stall in the old Brentford fruit & veg market,(been closed 40+ yrs), they sold clobber for the market workers including Levis and it was the first place I saw DM's, in '68 it was quite cool to wear DM shoes,looked good with levis , cords and even with a suit ! Just pre-skin I'd say,

#102 2022-02-16 08:36:18

AFS

From Bulgaria (Ebay), a USA-made Levi-Strauss top, allegedly from the 60s.  It looks, at first glance, like a sweatshirt but has the feel/texture of a v-neck sweater.  Poly/cotton. 
Stax, didn't DM shoes cut the feet somewhat?  Mine did.

#103 2022-02-16 10:50:50

Staxfan

AFS , it’s a very long time ago now but I can’t remember any problem with the DM shoes, my Dad probably gave them to his apprentice at work along with the olive Harrington around ‘71 when I wouldn’t have been seen dead in them anymore, funnily enough I still see the guy regularly at football, has done very well for himself, my old Dad would have been proud,

#104 2022-02-16 13:53:28

Runninggeez

Stax, didn't DM shoes cut the feet somewhat?  Mine did.

I have a pair of made in England DM "Greasy Gibson" shoes, bought them around 1990, probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I've worn. Only wish I'd bought more pairs.

#105 2022-02-17 08:27:24

AFS

A Pendleton shirt, the like of which I've not come across before: wool, but very fine, not that itchy weave they usually do.  Pendleton when still Made In The USA.
An Aertex shirt, rather misleadingly described as '60s'.  The seller meant '60s-style'.  The WWW bit on the washing instructions is a dead giveaway. 
They were both cheap Ebay buys.  The wool shirt is for wearing under a Russell Athletic sweatshirt when pounding the streets trying to lose more weight, the Aertex for summer.

#106 2022-02-17 08:31:15

AFS

'Greasy Gibson'.  I think Hawkins do a shoe of that name or something very much like it. 
DM shoes were worn in the mid-70s by the rather style-conscious football lads I knew and were seen as a definite cut above the boots.
I did not take to the Hawkins Astronauts I bought cheap in a local charity shop some dozen or more years ago and wore them in the garden.  One of our old posters, on getting wind of this, advised me to desist and clean them up.  I sold them on Ebay to some chap in Lyons.

#107 2022-02-17 11:00:44

Tomiskinky

Quote Runninggeez: I have a pair of made in England DM "Greasy Gibson" shoes, bought them around 1990, probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I've worn. Only wish I'd bought more pairs.

Had a pair of these 88/89 and they were the best DMs I had - the worst being the steel toe capped ones i bought 89/90 to cut out the toe and shine, very Acid House

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2022-02-17 11:01:01)

#108 2022-02-17 15:16:09

Runninggeez

Quote Tom: Had a pair of these 88/89 and they were the best DMs I had - the worst being the steel toe capped ones i bought 89/90 to cut out the toe and shine, very Acid House

Excellent Tom, I still occasionally wear them. The black one's were very Rave scene, usually worn with black Levi's and an Armand Basi Sweatshirt/sweater.
I had a few mates who moved into that scene.

#109 2022-02-18 06:24:23

Tomiskinky

The Dm's are long gone, but funnily enough, I do still have an Armand Basi tee from 1990

#110 2022-02-18 07:41:39

Runninggeez

I should imagine sort after vintage these days, I was having a conversation with someone on a fb group about Chipie & Chevignon.

#111 2022-02-18 07:52:08

An Unseen Scene

Peter Christian 'Loden' colour Moleskins have popped through the letter box - seem very good in a colour that isn't easy to find.

#112 2022-02-18 07:55:34

AFS

I looked over a Peter Christian top this morning but didn't bite.  Their cords are pretty good, aren't they?  I think Chris_H might have mentioned them.  I wonder if our esteemed Brooklyn-based poster Jdemy managed to find something he liked.

#113 2022-02-18 08:01:47

An Unseen Scene

Yes on trousers they are good - I haven't bought anything else from there at all.

Their service and support is good - they seem to be decent to deal with.

Ironically they do do a nice looking 'all weather' green harrington - but I'm not in the market for that.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2022-02-18 08:02:19)

#114 2022-02-18 08:05:32

Kingston1an

I have Peter Christian loden moleskins and another pine pair. They are very hard wearing and good Winter wear. County cords are equally good.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#115 2022-02-18 09:55:28

RobbieB

That's a coincidence I was looking at the Peter Christian site today for Cords. I might buy a couple of pairs from Brook Taverner though.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#116 2022-02-18 12:51:39

Staxfan

Sent the Norse Project chinos back today, they seem to disappear up my backside, along with no buttons on the back pockets it was a deal breaker, oddly their heavy chinos have back pocket buttons, I think I’m done buying strides online, spent probably close to 30 quid in receiving and returning 2 pairs in the last fortnight, oh well,

#117 2022-02-18 14:14:29

Runninggeez

That's a coincidence I was looking at the Peter Christian site today for Cords. I might buy a couple of pairs from Brook Taverner though.

My mate does all the design & photography for BT's brochures Robbie, I'll ask him what their cords are like if you want.

#118 2022-02-18 15:13:19

RobbieB

Runninggeez- Please do ask him. I bought a pair of Taverner cords several years ago and they were well made but are now too small in the waist. They did a 33 waist back then and now I'm +34. They are not too expensive so probably worth a punt

#119 2022-02-18 15:33:11

Runninggeez

@Robbie, shame I didn't see the post earlier as I was down the pub with him. I'll text him, and let you know.

#120 2022-02-19 03:27:44

DuluthandBackAgain

PRL (shock, horror!) Stretch Khaki Tan Chinos. Best fitting trousers I've worn. Bought a pair of PRL cords on their sale a month ago and they were great, so I thought - why not?

Is that a popped collar or are you just happy to see me?

#121 2022-02-19 04:41:00

AFS

No sense of shock or horror from this quarter, I assure you.  I'm always interested in knowing just what non-English posters are buying and wearing. 
Alvey's post on Reyn Spooner and TRSs continuing devotion to the Pendleton Topster aside, the UK 'Ivy' contingent strike me as sometimes - no, often - staid in their approach, unwilling perhaps to deviate from a certain 'tradition' and to 'play with' current American ideas.
I'd like to know more.

#122 2022-02-20 04:49:42

DuluthandBackAgain

Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings regarding stretch mar.. fabrics. I'm a 42 waist so my options are limited. Trying really hard to lose weight. But, 42 is a hell of a lot better than 56. J Crew offer a new chino in their spring catalogue, something they call "classic relaxed fit". 

I forgot, I also got a PRL Madras shirt in red/blue/green. The polo logo, in green, camouflaged by the green stripes in the fabric.

#123 2022-02-20 04:57:08

RobbieB

Taverner Cords can't be delivered till April so I will give them a miss. Maybe Peter Christian then. Buying strides online is a bit of a nightmare as Stax says. High street shops seem to be disappearing except Primark that goes from strength to strength. Says it all really

#124 2022-02-20 05:04:55

RobbieB

Like DBA I've started to think stretch fabrics are your friend. I'm just over 34 waist so 36 is just too much. All my 34 trousers are now tight so today I'm wearing 34 Lee 5 pocket trousers with a bit of stretch. I need to get down the gym with Stax and start oggling that Chinese lady

#125 2022-02-20 05:06:03

DuluthandBackAgain

Peter Christian cords are great. Unfortunately they don't ship to EU any longer. Had to get a pair of Hoggs cords last fall. They were OK, but not in the same ball park as PC.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What's Just Popped Through Your Letterbox?

Board footer