You are not logged in.

#26 2022-01-21 08:57:37

RobbieB

Re: Forum Relaunch - Update

HaHa AFS. Is that the old school master attitude coming out?
Anyway, the girl in Gregory's girl did something for me. And that was when I was 28 and married. No teenage crush.

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-01-21 08:58:16)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#27 2022-01-22 01:03:41

AFS

A girl in a beret is always a delight.  Just think of Faye Dunaway in 'Bonnie And Clyde'.

#28 2022-01-22 03:54:08

Staxfan

AFS - throw in a pair of horn rimmed specs as well, wow,
Robbie- arms length away, walking past the treadmill she was on ( rear view !), trying not to be too obvious, haha

#29 2022-01-22 04:32:10

Yuca

Ted Bundy?

some sort of banal legitimacy

#30 2022-01-22 05:25:48

RobbieB

Whenever someone mentions Ted Bundy I always think of Al Bundy, shoe salesman and Ivy dresser. Perhaps not as good a 'cool' model of the Harrington as Steve McQueen or Rodney.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#31 2022-01-22 06:04:53

Spendthrift

Al Bundy. ‘Psycho Dad’

#32 2022-01-22 07:39:03

Patrick

Obvious question, but what is the holdup on getting this forum back up to speed?

At another forum (now retired) we all ponied up a few bucks every once in a while to keep the lights on.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#33 2022-01-22 09:27:44

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

quote=Patrick :
'Obvious question, but what is the holdup on getting this forum back up to speed?

At another forum (now retired) we all ponied up a few bucks every once in a while to keep the lights on.'

I've contacted FNB a few times over this via PM on this site or direct via email. To be honest, he often takes several days to reply and when he does its generally along the lines that the new platform will be ready soon and that he needs to chase up his IT guy etc.

You can only pester someone so many times when they are doing you a favour. It's not his number one priority ... and why should it be?

If you Google 'How to set up an internet forum' (in six easy steps) the platform software on which this site is based i.e. PunBB or PhPBB, is mentioned as being freeware and as being particularly easy to transfer the content from onto a new more featured (paid for) platform. However my limited experience of the world of IT solutions is when someone says a task is 'easy' what they really mean is that it's just not really, really hard.

The other point from Patrick is about members coughing up a few quid to fund the place. I wouldn't mind this but when I mentioned it a few weeks ago there was a deafening silence.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#34 2022-01-22 10:37:05

doghouse

I think you probably wouldn't know until you tried woof, regarding donations. Even if no one chimed in I am sure that enough would value it to contribute. DW is 100% donation run, and it's a fairly small user base as well.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#35 2022-01-22 15:51:34

Spendthrift

Yeah - I’d put in to keep it going. If that’s what it took

#36 2022-01-23 02:02:31

AFS

Horn-rimmed specs and a beret?  Sounds more like Dizzy Gillespie.

#37 2022-01-23 02:55:01

AFS

Donations?  Why not?  Say twice a year, spring and autumn.

#38 2022-01-23 06:53:49

Patrick

At The Curriculum, which was made up of AAAT members who were tired of fights about JC Penney suits, there was a yearly appeal. I always kicked in $50 (about 37 pounds).

That forum sputtered out. Lack of interest, and the fellow who set it up and ran it got married, started a family, and was busy at work. And with only a handful of people actively participating, well...

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#39 2022-01-25 04:09:27

Skipper

I think this whole discussion is completely pointless. The administrator simply doesn't care about the forum. He has consistently proven that. Due to his years of negligence in updating, he is responsible for the crash of the forum and the loss of almost all users. In addition, he did not even consider it necessary to comment on it here, even with just one sentence. Now the forum has been online again for many months and nothing has happened. This will remain so in the future. If you don't see it, you don't want to see it.

Of course you can't make any claims with a free offer and it is the operator's right to behave as he wants. But I certainly won't pay for a forum without users, which doesn't even have the basic functions and you don't know if it won't just be gone from one day to the next. Anyone who finds such a situation acceptable and also wants to pay for it is a masochist. Excuse my open words, but this is grotesque.

#40 2022-01-25 04:26:24

AFS

Sadly, a lot of people will be reaching the same conclusion.

#41 2022-01-26 08:41:38

Skipper

@AFS:

As a realistically thinking person one cannot come to any other conclusion.

#42 2022-01-26 10:14:12

doghouse

I think the thought Skipper is if it was donation based it would be your own forum and have the functionality you are desiring.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#43 2022-01-26 14:30:57

Skipper

@doghouse:

If the forum worked and had more than a handful of users, I would consider paying for it. However, under this leadership such a situation will never arise.

#44 2022-01-26 15:44:26

doghouse

In case I wasn't clear, it would be your own forum under different leadership

#45 2022-01-26 23:01:39

Skipper

@doghouse:

New leadership would be the minimum requirement for change. But even then there would still be the problem that almost all users have dropped out. I believe that starting a completely new forum would be the only viable solution. But who has time for that?

#46 2022-01-27 04:07:57

doghouse

I think that is what is being proposed is what I was trying to communicate

#47 2022-02-13 09:51:29

staceyboy06

Just to say hello all. Like the prodigal son in longwings I have returned this day. Its been a while - a good few years. For the life of me I don't recall how or why I drifted away in the first place. Talk Ivy was always my true home. My thanks to Woofboxer for the recent gentle persuasion! I shall be a stranger no longer.

Not that it matters but I can no longer be simply 'staceyboy' - that FNB account is locked into a long defunct ntlworld address. So 'staceyboy06' now matches by Instagram name.

They say hard work never killed anyone - but why take the risk?

#48 2022-02-13 10:33:28

AFS

A thousand welcomes!

#49 2022-02-13 17:35:15

Tworussellstreet

Hello Staceyboy. Welcome back to the madhouse. Good to see the old names turning up.

#50 2023-09-12 09:14:40

Skipper

I wrote this in January 2022:

"I think this whole discussion is completely pointless. The administrator simply doesn't care about the forum. He has consistently proven that. Due to his years of negligence in updating, he is responsible for the crash of the forum and the loss of almost all users. In addition, he did not even consider it necessary to comment on it here, even with just one sentence. Now the forum has been online again for many months and nothing has happened. This will remain so in the future. If you don't see it, you don't want to see it.

Of course you can't make any claims with a free offer and it is the operator's right to behave as he wants. But I certainly won't pay for a forum without users, which doesn't even have the basic functions and you don't know if it won't just be gone from one day to the next. Anyone who finds such a situation acceptable and also wants to pay for it is a masochist. Excuse my open words, but this is grotesque."

Nothing has changed since then. I almost forgot about the forum. Have a nice day!

Board footer