You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-25 07:49:31

AFS

Loafers: The Compromise

Bespoke (as suggested elsewhere)?  Not for me.  Nor, even, J.M.Weston.
Modern Bass Weejuns are all too often despised.
Alden?  Yes - if you have deep pockets.  They have no great appeal for me.
I have no experience of Eastland or Rancourt.
Dexter?  Yet are they any less 'plasticy' than modern Bass? 
Sebago - a little 'ho-hum' perhaps.
Didn't Patrick say years ago that the UK Ivy fraternity often take loafers too seriously?

#2 2022-01-25 07:50:45

AFS

Re: Loafers: The Compromise

I wonder if TRS BTW still favours Alden.

#3 2022-01-25 07:59:25

AFS

I still favour Dexter.

#4 2022-01-25 08:12:40

SenorBlues

John Rushton highly rates Lorens from Spain. I had a pair from him about ten years ago and they're still going strong. Lovely shoes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFIWNc1nFmq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#5 2022-01-25 12:28:45

Yuca

Most loafers back in the day were cheap but cheerful. They looked great due to the classic style, but up close the use of low grade leather was obvious to anyone into good shoes. Also they don't do the feet and back any favours. To a certain extent the aforementioned classic style compensates for their disposable nature, particularly if they are worn intermittently, however it explains why vintage shots and film suggest that they were far more of a young person's thing.

Due to their vast popularity for so many years, vintage made in the US loafers could often be found on ebay etc for a reasonable price, even when including shipping and possible custom charges. Nowadays such finds are rarer and shipping and customs charges seem to have risen drastically. Perhaps the only remaining budget option is new Weejuns or similar, and even they probably cost a bit in the UK. Some of the new Weejuns do actually look ok but I wouldn't recommend them for someone hoping to get a lot of wear out of them.

Quite a variety of really good quality loafers can be found new, although of course they don't come cheap. Even some of the UK loafers look very good.

So far so obvious. What the compromise is that has supposedly inspired this thread, I have no idea. If you don't have the funds for some decent loafers but were able to get some cheapos a few years ago, then obviously you stick to what you already have. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Yuca (2022-01-25 12:30:45)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#6 2022-01-25 12:33:29

Yuca

On saying that, a diligent user of ebay could get lucky with some decent contemporary loafers for a relatively good price. Personally I don't compromise on sizing, particularly when it comes to footwear, so I would only get some if they were in my exact size. Nor do I buy used footwear unless they have little to no wear.

Still worth a try.

Last edited by Yuca (2022-01-25 12:33:54)

#7 2022-01-25 12:33:47

AFS

Who knows?

#8 2022-01-25 12:38:09

AFS

The question is, I suppose, is there a middle ground between, say, Alden on the one hand and outsourced Bass on the other?  That's about it really.

#9 2022-01-25 12:55:34

Yuca

How much are they?

#10 2022-01-25 13:05:41

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Sebago still offer a decent compromise of quality v quids. I picked a pair of barely worn ones in a charity shop a few months and ai have to say I’m quite impressed with them for knocking about in. They’re not great but they’re okay, especially for a tenner!

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2022-01-25 17:17:49

Tworussellstreet

The middle ground, where the Ivy Look thrived, has disappeared. You have £700 Alden at one end and £140 plastic Bass at the other. Alden are great, but something of a luxury, special occasion shoe and modern Bass are an insult to the well informed. The likes of Dexter, Eastland, and Wilton, Maine Weejuns occupied the middle ground of sensible, affordable, very American footwear. Walkover too on the wingtip front. It's the modern market place and I hate it.

#12 2022-01-26 02:12:14

Yuca

Most people I know in real life - in fact possibly everyone I know in real life - would never dream of spending 140 pounds on a pair of shoes. And if they did, they would expect them to be of a very high standard. Today it gets you a pair of sweatshop-made, plastic loafers.

On saying that, the Lorens mentioned earlier are that price or less and they are good. JS Rancourt loafers are 320, and buying Rancourts direct starts at 265USD, plus shipping and customs of course. Rancourts are more to my tastes than Aldens.

#13 2022-01-26 03:51:50

Spendthrift

Agree with that Yuca

Most people I know would see themselves as never being able to afford or justify that on a pair of shoes.

They think nothing of going into JD Sports four or five times a year to buy new Lonsdale velcro strap lumps of pvc. Before chucking the old ones in landfill. Part of a much wider problem.

I'm happy with Sebago. Tried on a pair of Loake Princeton the other day. Which are priced similarly. Quality was ok, but the shape was just slightly off.

#14 2022-01-26 03:52:46

Staxfan

TRS- I think you've summed up the loafer market in a nutshell, I've been a life-long loafer wearer, always my ' go-to' shoes, although more difficult these days with the state of my feet, I've got a couple of pairs of JS x Rancourt which probably hit the middle ground, I've also got 2 pairs of Stemar loafers, both 15-18 yrs old, one pair of dark tan venetian ( ? no strap) , are one of the best pairs of shoes I've ever owned, the quality of the leather is outstanding, I wore these shoes a lot and it was only a couple of years ago when the leather soles wore through, Stemar are Italian and tbh of their current offerings there are only maybe 1 or 2 pairs that would be of interest to anyone on here and they are probably a bit 'dressy', price-wise around £350, so middle ground price-wise, I'm sure the quality is still there as it seems they're still made in the same factory in Italy,

#15 2022-01-26 06:14:51

Hill Rise

For anyone lucky enough to be an 8 or 42 there are a pair of Lorens beefroll's on ebay at the moment starting price £50.
I used to have a pair of their penny loafers years ago and they were great, I don't think they still make them, sadly.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284619020441?hash=item42449d9899:g:K64AAOSwJ1FhRhOY

#16 2022-01-26 06:33:31

AFS

Exactly my size, Hill Rise.  They do look tempting.

#17 2022-01-26 08:09:13

plastic palm tree

The oxblood beefrolls I got from Peter Christian a couple years ago were decent for price.  Full-grain: https://www.peterchristian.co.uk/oxblood-peter-christian-penny-loafer/

#18 2022-01-26 08:19:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

AFS - Exactly my size, Hill Rise.  They do look tempting.

JS had a pair of tan grain leather Florsheims (Yuma?) last week. Used but in good order. Couldn’t swear to the size but smaller than my size 9 plates.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#19 2022-01-26 08:36:24

Yuca

The Peter Christian look reasonable. I notice the blurb mentions ivy league and modernists. Someone knows the market they're seeking.

Even the most hardcore ivy extremist might struggle to distinguish them from US beefrolls.

#20 2022-01-26 08:37:45

Yuca

They do some tassel loafers as well. Perfect for those of you with no taste whatsoever.

#21 2022-01-26 08:40:43

AFS

Tassels and basketweave were all the go with the junior suedeheads circa 1971.  Not a good look.  Keep loafers sleek and unadorned.

#22 2022-01-26 09:03:40

RobbieB

I also agree with the TRS summary. I don't wear loafers as much as I used to but I always have a pair of Seebagos on the go which I have done  since I was at school.
On a side note has anyone replaced leather soles with Dainite soles? Not for loafers but another pair of shoes. I no longer need leather soled shoes as I don't frequent dance floors or the office anymore.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#23 2022-01-26 09:36:10

Yuca

There's a better solution: start frequenting dancefloors again.

#24 2022-01-26 09:45:31

RobbieB

I'd love to Yuca. Maybe I should keep some leather soled shoes in reserve

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#25 2022-01-26 09:49:12

AFS

Robbie, are you back in England yet?

Board footer