You are not logged in.

#26 2022-01-26 10:26:43

RobbieB

Re: Loafers: The Compromise

I'm travelling back on Friday, all being well.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#27 2022-01-26 14:46:28

Patrick

Allen Edmonds might be the middle ground. If I was starting from scratch I'd look hard at the Cavanaugh. They don't seem to have a beefroll at the moment though.

They also have a seconds section on the website, which gets into the realm of the inexpensive.

In the recent purge I jettisoned almost all the current cheapo Bass loafers. I have more than enough better ones to last the rest of my days.

I know one guy who treats current Weejuns like boat shoes. He buys them and beats the crap out of them. When they're done they're done. He saves his Aldens for when he's trying.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#28 2022-01-26 17:05:42

Tworussellstreet

The Lorens loafers are very much in line with the old school values of the unlined, Made in USA, handstitched loafer. John Rushton used to sell them and they had that humble, low-key, but well-made thing about them which is so very Ivy. I must say I've never been fussed on the Rancourts. They don't look right. The balance is wrong, the sole too pale, the strap isn't stitched down. They look like the ugly bastard child after Cole-Haan and Sebago had an ill-advised night in the sack together. And I think they're lined, which is just horrible. The best loafer out there is the Brooks Alden unlined cordovan penny, but I'm shit-scared when I wear mine as they cost a bloody fortune. Do Brooks still commission and sell this particular model?

#29 2022-01-27 01:09:01

AFS

I like that contrast of 'humble' with 'well-made', so evocative of the essential balance within the overall look.

#30 2022-01-29 00:39:39

AFS

I don't think the Lorens loafers sold.  I was tempted by I just don't need another pair of loafers and more money is committed nowadays to buying modernist glass. 
My wardrobe is bulging again.  The last time this happened, ten years ago, I had to buy another wardrobe.  I'd been getting rid of stuff, too!

#31 2022-03-24 12:01:35

RobbieB

Larsen Penny loafers. Size 8 £28! On the HIP site. Bargain

#32 2022-03-24 12:36:10

AFS

Yes indeed.  Still not for me, though, even in my size.  I'd much rather - if push came to shove - have a fourth pair of Astorflex.

God bless The Weejun.

#33 2022-03-24 13:13:47

RobbieB

I would buy them if they were my size. They look good in the photos. The Astorflex also appeal to me but I can't justify another purchase

#34 2022-03-24 13:52:48

Spendthrift

Thanks Robbie. I’m in for £28!

#35 2022-03-24 15:33:24

RobbieB

Spendthrift- Can't go wrong for £28. Let us know what they are like. I was hoping someone on here would buy them.

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-03-24 15:35:20)

#36 2022-03-24 16:13:41

Yuca

'I must say I've never been fussed on the Rancourts. They don't look right. The balance is wrong, the sole too pale, the strap isn't stitched down. They look like the ugly bastard child after Cole-Haan and Sebago had an ill-advised night in the sack together. And I think they're lined, which is just horrible.'

I don't know who this sacrilegious clown is but the moderators need to ban him.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#37 2022-03-24 16:33:05

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Haha - I like Rancourts loafers too.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#38 2022-03-25 01:25:10

AFS

Can we be certain that a lifetime ban would be sufficient?

#39 2022-03-25 02:56:46

Yuca

I'd ban his offspring too.

#40 2022-03-25 03:26:33

AFS

The seventh son unto the seventh son or, as possibly Gussie Fink-Nottle or Bingo Little had it, thingummy who begat thingummy. 
No.  Let's not.  Let's...  reinstate him immediately...

#41 2022-03-25 05:46:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

At the risk of being unfriended by Yuca, having looked at the Rancourt website I share 2RS’s dislike of the light coloured soles on most of their penny loafers and the, to my eyes, slightly cartoon’ish prominent stitching. But if you zoom in it is apparent that the straps are stitched down. In fact I would venture that a lot of loafers on that site aren’t really penny loafers and are actually strap loafers, as they lack the beefroll detail found on Weejuns and Sebagos to name but two.

My Rancourts aren’t lined and they are a quantum step up in quality from the other makes that have been mentioned.

Plenty of makers do their interpretation of the classic penny loafer and whether the appearance appeals is a matter of individual taste.
I picked up a pair of barely used Sebago pennys from a charity shop last year and I wore them through the summer as they are super comfortable and suited the look I was wearing, however they were really cheap and I wouldn’t have bought them new. I’m not under any illusions about their longevity either and when that time comes I don’t suppose I’ll have any appetite to invest in repairing them. But I expect my Rancourts and Aldens to outlive me.

John Simons

#42 2022-03-25 06:33:54

Uncle Ian

I recently got a pair of new Sebago (made in Mexico) - from Next of all places - and they are every bit as good as my older, US made pair. Weejuns however, are a completely different kettle of fish - total crap.

#43 2022-03-25 06:57:09

Tworussellstreet

I'm with The Uncle on the worthiness of current Sebago. I bought a pair of their new non-USA beefroll and they are really pretty good - very solidly made, good leather. Maybe not quite up there with the old USA ones, but not far off and they certainly piss all over those fugly Rancourt things. Bass, or whoever bought the name and are now proceeding to crap all over the once proud Wilton, Maine legacy, should really be ashamed of what they're up to. I think of them as the P&O Ferries of shoe manufacturing - cynical, soulless and greedy. All spin and marketing to con punters into shelling out for a very shoddy product.

#44 2022-03-25 06:59:46

AFS

I still like Dexter.  They remind me of 2 Russell Street, of The Trio, of The Way We Were.

#45 2022-03-25 07:25:12

RobbieB

I agree in general with 2RS re Bass. However I did buy a Bass pair of chukka boots about 5 years ago and the leather was good. Never worn them though!
The Larson shoes on the HIP site looked good in the photos not like the plastic shoes Bass now do.Not there anymore so Spendthrift may have got them. The HIP site does have a habit of 'click bait' when you think you have a purchase in the basket and then suddenly it becomes unavailable.

#46 2022-03-25 07:52:04

Spendthrift

I dithered Robbie. Looked in there this morning and no sign of them so presume either click bait like you say, or someone else got them.

I hesitated mainly because I didn't want to break my 'no buying on-line rule', especially shoes, which is dicey at the best of times. But mainly as they were described as 'red'. Never seen them called that before and I had visions of opening up a box of post box colour loafers.

Also, owning both modern Bass and Sebago, I concur with most. The Sebago are streets ahead.

#47 2022-03-25 08:03:58

Yuca

Actually most Rancourt loafers don't do it for me either. I don't like beefrolls for a start. But the 2 or 3 Rancourt pennies that I do like, I really like.

#48 2022-03-25 08:17:23

RobbieB

Spendthrift- I didn't spot the 'red' description. Post box red would have been quite something. HaHa. The photos of the shoe looked good but I don't trust the HIP site 100% re descriptions/photos.I have had stuff in the basket that suddenly becomes unavailable. Buying shoes online is a bit of a risk  re sizes as well.

#49 2022-03-25 08:32:03

AFS

Nowadays, I can't help but thinking of loafers as 'yard shoes', Weejuns (specifically) as 'basically slippers', to quote (or possibly misquote) The Guv'Nor.  The Dexter were a good £50 Ebay buy last autumn.  They haven't yet left the side of the bed.  The Sebago - bought shortly afterwards - have had a couple of brief, easy excursions.  They really are 'yard shoes'. 
I like the sound of Alden well enough but would never buy their loafers.  I know the penny and beef-roll are the classic Ivy footwear but, as with desert boots, I'm no longer enthusiastic, preferring just to kick around in Astorflex or Pro-Keds instead.

#50 2022-03-25 09:06:05

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

If loafers are reasonable quality and fit you well they can be some of the most comfortable shoes out there, but they don’t they are a complete killer on the feet.

John Simons

Board footer