You are not logged in.

#51 2022-03-25 09:34:32

AFS

Re: Loafers: The Compromise

Woof hits the nail on the head.

#52 2022-03-25 10:04:52

Yuca

Those shoes are made for loafing. And not for walking.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#53 2022-03-25 10:15:59

AFS

Or, at least, not very far.  I made the mistake, a number of years ago, of walking from home to a local supermarket, a round trip of about two miles.  My feet bled.  The same thing happened with a pair of those white Sebago boat shoes.

#54 2022-03-25 17:28:10

AlveySinger

I love loafers. They make up a large proportion of my shoe collection.

Firstly, to a certain price point you get why you pay for. Case in point I have some beautiful Ralph Chelsea boots. Soft calf with a double sole. Worn every Autumn and Winter for the last fifteen years and still look like new. Probably paid £250 pounds at the time what a crazy amount of money but equates to roughly £17 a year.Made in England by C&J.

My experiences with cheap footwear isn't good. They quickly loose their. shape and lack the support I want.

It is difficult to get the right balance between the look, quality and price point. You do have to really shop around. The problem I'm finding is that you end up having to cherish cheap loafers that historically you wouldn't  even consider just because they have the look and there aren't many alternatives.

Patrick is right Allen Edmonds do cover the middle ground. I bought last year some deadstock Waldens off their site. Pretty inexpensive. I remember Chiltern Street stocking them early on.

I think they also made the cheaper Alden Cape Cod collection. I picked up some CC penny loafers from Alden's DC store. The leather is superb. Soft and slightly textured

Sebago have the right look and are very good value. You can often find them on offer. I have several pairs including my prized Heritage Collection pennies. Like the old Cayman.

I love Rancourt loafers too. Exceptionally comfortable. JS is waiting on new stock from them.

I threw away some Cole Haan Pinch Penny loafers. Far too narrow. more pinch than punch

Anyone looking for a great Ivy loafer should look at Crockett and Jones Harvard/Boston loafer in Cavalry Calf. Often referred to as poor mans cordovan these shoes combine the look of a LHS with the superior lasts of Northhampton. They're Goodyear welted so can be easily repaired.

#55 2022-03-26 04:35:03

Tomiskinky

C&J options are indeed wonderful and Cheaney also do the Howard which like the Boston has a similar looking last to the Alden’s.

Horatio footwear do one called the Dartmouth but I’ve never owned a pair, but people have told me they are a decent shoe and also have that classic last shape.

#56 2024-01-29 01:00:28

Half Mast

Opinions? Seem quite nice for the price.

https://www.morjas.com/shop/shoes/the-penny-loafer/

#57 2024-01-29 03:36:16

FlatSixC

Half Mast - Opinions? Seem quite nice for the price.

https://www.morjas.com/shop/shoes/the-penny-loafer/

No experience of the brand. They certainly look the part, but as always until you pick them up, feel them, smell them, try them on ….

I like the ‘tongue’ (?) of a loafer to be slightly larger. To explain that; I would say that the John Simons Rancourt loafer is pretty close to the ideal shape for me. A lot more pricey of course.
https://johnsimons.co.uk/product/pinch-penny-calf-leather-loafers-burgundy/

#58 2024-01-29 18:13:04

Yuca

'Opinions? Seem quite nice for the price.'

I know many of you differ on this but personally I dislike rubber soles on shoes, so for that reason I wouldn't consider them. If I were one of those poor, deluded soles who likes rubber souls then I wouldn't invest anyway. They look nice and it's obvious they're quality footwear however at 300 notes plus shipping I would have to be enamoured - as a penny fan I like them, but I'm not in love. They're copying the classic US loafer but I think they've come out a little bit more elegant than even the most expensive US loafers e.g. the famous Brooks/Alden cordovans. The beauty of loafers is in their loafing casualness.

I'd rather pay a bit less for cheaper quality but nicer looking. Or even better pay the same or more for nicer looking and good quality. Rancourts have some beauties, and there's a relatively cheap Spanish brand whose name I forget that John Rushton used to and may still stock (beefrolls though but nice looking).

#59 2024-01-29 18:22:43

Yuca

Lorens - as a reread of this thread points out. I had a pair years ago and they used to get a lot of compliments. Looks like they've stopped making them though.

#60 2024-01-30 00:08:49

Half Mast

They offer leather soles too wink

#61 2024-01-30 06:11:08

AlveySinger

In the last twelve months I've had a bit of a splurge on new loafers.

My thinking was that good quality loafers are becoming increasingly hard to find stateside - unless you go down the mail order route.

France, Spain and Italy still manufacture collegiate style loafers. I plan on dipping my toes in the European waters in due course.

I find it strange that cheap shoes that I used to think as disposable Summer commodities are, due to scarcity, becoming almost like treasured relics.

#62 2024-01-30 06:45:54

West Indian Limes

Even JS ist dipping his toes in European (loafer) waters. Think of D. Lepori. There are still some treasures to find for those who seek.

#63 2024-01-30 11:12:03

Kingston1an

Loafers were more of a Summer shoe for me. Over the years more comfy desert boots etc have more appeal.

Berwick do a good value loafer.

I always resented John Simons shop charging the same money - seven guineas - for loafers as far more substantial plain caps and wingtips. I still bought them though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#64 2024-01-31 12:32:36

Yuca

'They offer leather soles too'

In that case I would be more tempted, but I still find them a little too refined. As has been stated earlier though, in the flesh could be a different matter.

#65 2024-01-31 12:33:52

Yuca

'In the last twelve months I've had a bit of a splurge on new loafers.'

You haven't told us what new loafers you splurged on.

#66 2024-01-31 15:41:02

AlveySinger

^Yuca

I started 23 with a restock JS Rancourt loafer in burgundy. Very different leather and construction from the earlier models. These have been consigned to the stock room.

Then had their grain beef roll. They’re lined and have taken an age to break in.

Bought some Cole Haan but they went back.

In Paris I purchased the Paraboot hybrid loafer cum deck shoes.

I finished the year with a couple of new Sebagos. The grain loafer went back as it was faulty but I kept a stunning pair of dark brown suede beef rolls.

Other things I investigated were a new Florsheim Berkeley 2 loafer but not worth getting. Slightly pointy toe box.
Allen Edmonds Cavenaugh loafers. Weird fit
Johnston and Murphy loafers but that’s one for another day

#67 2024-02-03 14:48:52

Yuca

Good work.

Last edited by Yuca (2024-02-03 14:49:13)

#68 2024-02-04 12:49:36

Horace

The Alden is such a well made shoo either in cordo or not, that I can't imagine a superior loafer. 

I second the an early post by yuca, that loafers were cheap and cheerful.  Relatively.  The ol' Bass or Dexter of the 70's and 80's made in Maine or Massachusetts was reasonably priced (though not cheap for that time) and the leather was good.  But the Alden is really superlative.  And I'd rather invest in something like that than something that's really not well made.  But it is a little difficult to get your mind around the pricing.  But I've bought a few Alden's over the past few years and they're all great.  My only relative disappointment is the suede chukka -- I'm not a fan over the style.  Or at least the particular cut/last/style I have.  Much rather have a Clarke, but I want it with Alden quality.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but thinking of investing in the Indy Boot.  I couldn't stand them for a long time but I need a good pair of boots for outdoors and light "trekking" if you'll excuse the word. And I'm tempted.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer