You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-16 06:23:53

Tworussellstreet

Jake's Shirts

Picked up a couple of new Ivy button-downs yesterday from his workshop in East London. Lovely chap, trained in bespoke tailoring, and well versed in the many histories and interpretations of The Ivy Look. I've bought 4 off him now, and all delight with their craftsmanship and attention to detail. He deserves our patronage : www.jakesldn.com

#2 2023-02-16 11:39:19

RobbieB

Re: Jake's Shirts

I must pay Jake a visit. It's my 'old manor' and I was close by the other week. I could do with some quality shirts.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2023-02-16 12:51:34

Tworussellstreet

Evocative and utter remodelled part of London where he is, right next to West Silvertown DLR. That amazing Tate & Lyle still stands there, knocking out glorious Golden Syrup!

#4 2023-02-17 00:59:44

Tomiskinky

He’s moving towards shoreditch soon, looking to expand the business with a wider offering. I only have one of his shirts, keep meaning to buy more, but then I see a well priced vintage item or more shoes and another month has passed along

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2023-02-17 09:10:23)

#5 2023-02-17 05:13:36

AlveySinger

I would like to try one his shirts. Can you go to his workrooms and talk through your requirements?

I have a few Mercer shirts in interesting fabrics - tartans and checks - but the position of the second button and the size of the collars means I get a gaping effect.

I was also disappointed in the overall shirt length until I sized to a longer shirt (additional costs)

#6 2023-02-17 05:41:42

RobbieB

I put in an order this morning. Looking forward to paying a visit to Silvertown. I know it's all been remodelled but I can pay a visit to where I spent a couple of years of my life and where the ghosts of my ancestors are probably having a 'knees-up/party'. Shame all the pubs are gone. I'll pop over to the Thames Barrier where I made a lot of dough as a young man.
If I like the shirt I'll buy more.

#7 2023-02-17 07:30:39

Staxfan

Robbie - I'm guessing you're going for a classic ocbd,I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the shirt,

#8 2023-02-17 09:28:57

RobbieB

Stax- Yes mate. I only bought one just to see what it's like.

#9 2023-02-26 05:52:53

RobbieB

2RS- How long did you have to wait for your order on shirts to be completed?

Does Jake have any shirts to buy 'off the peg'?

I'd like to order some more shirts but I'm awaiting my first order to check if they are for me.

#10 2023-02-26 11:37:52

Tworussellstreet

Hi Robbie - it takes about 2-3 weeks to get your shirt back from Jake. He basically works on his tod so it can take a while. I don't think the monogramming adds any time on as it's basically a stamp on the inside of the collar, a bit like you get on old vintage American shirts. I think off the peg is something he is thinking he may do at some point in the future but for now it's that semi-bespoke kind of thing. They're worth the wait, and worth the price.

#11 2023-02-26 15:07:38

RobbieB

Cheers 2RS. I am looking forward to getting the shirt. I kind of know I will be ordering more.

#12 2023-03-10 08:32:03

RobbieB

I spent part of the afternoon with Jake talking Ivy and some of the products he is planning to make and sell. He has some fantastic items of clothing in the proto stage of production. My shirt that I was collecting was boxed up so I didn't see it or try it on until I got home. I've just put it on and what can I say?  For the price it is one of the best authentic Ivy shirts that I have ever owned. Sweet collar roll and first class handiwork and attention to detail. As 2RS has said we should support this guy.

Jake will be announcing some good news for his future work that we will all be pleased to hear.

#13 2023-03-10 12:25:45

colin
Bright Light

Surely you can give us some clues....?!

#14 2023-03-10 13:04:49

RobbieB

I think Jake realised he had said too much to me as nothing has been signed yet. I mentioned the FNB site and he was surprised it was back up and running. All will be revealed in the next couple of months. He has some non button down summer shirts, a cotton/linen mix, saw an Ivy suit jacket with nearly all the right details that he will be tweaking and he has a few BD shirts as templates for increased production. I saw an Italian silk weave ivy tie in plain colours to compliment various shirts.
He is a bit isolated in West Silvertown so I imagine he is looking for a more central location. He has a friend helping him and also an apprentice at the moment.
He also mentioned a Japan connection. Good luck to the bloke what ever he decides to do. His shirts are very good because of his attention to detail

#15 2023-03-10 14:03:30

colin
Bright Light

If I had more spare cash I'd have given them a go. Ivy jacket sounds interesting, I must say!

#16 2023-03-11 18:41:38

Yuca

Sounds like he deserves every success.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#17 2023-03-14 05:26:28

Staxfan

Robbie - how's the fit on your Jake's shirt ? My understanding is that they are a ' full cut',

#18 2023-03-14 06:50:00

RobbieB

They are a full cut in the traditional sense. I happen to like this. I don't like tight fitting shirts. Maybe not as baggy as a BDBaggies. A bit like a traditional fit Brooks Brothers if that makes any sense
I wore the shirt to a family party on Saturday and the bloke next to me complimented me on my shirt! I told him about Jake and he didn't seem to think that the price was unreasonable for such a shirt. I then proceeded to leacture him on 1960s American Ivy and he was polite enough not to look bored. It's probably no coincidence that he spent several years living in Japan. My brother just assumed I had a RL shirt on.
Last Thursday I was in the pub with a 79 year old cousin who was full on Ivy. He told me that in the early 60s all his mates wanted American BD shirts but that even in London they were hard to get. One of his mates got one and they took in to a tailor near Brick Lane and he made them copies. He said they cost a fortune but were worth it for the look.

#19 2023-03-15 16:46:39

Yuca

Sounds superb.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#20 2023-03-17 07:48:18

RobbieB

I've ordered another shirt from Jake. (no one tell my missus!). I suppose the only drawback for some is that once ordered you can't return the shirt.
The bloke I spoke to at my party was concerned with sizing and I  told him just measure a shirt that you have, and like, for dimensions. He thought he would have to visit Jake to get measured up!

#21 2023-03-18 04:29:07

Tworussellstreet

Which one did you go for Robbie? I fancy another pop, though always cringe a bit when a few hundred pounds disappears from my account... Worth it though. You just have to close your eyes and go for it.

#22 2023-03-18 06:23:21

RobbieB

2RS- I went for the Red End on End Poplin - Button Down Shirt

£150. Not cheap but far superior than the £120 shirts at JS. in my opinion.

#23 2023-03-18 06:28:39

RobbieB

A few of my shirts are coming towards the end of their wearability so I need to replace them. The Jake's shirts will see me out I reckon. I'd probably  be buying the shirts from JS if it wasn't for Jake's, or going second hand from Markkt.

#24 2023-03-27 03:26:04

RobbieB

I've discovered another good thing about Jake's shirts. I hand washed my recent purchase and let it dry naturally. When it came to ironing I found that it was an easy shirt to iron. Easier than some shirts I have. Not sure if it's because of the way it is made, the materials used, or my hand wash/drying. I've been ironing my own shirts since I was 12 years old. My old cousin who wears button down shirts 7 days a week and sends his shirts away for ironing thinks I'm mad to do my own shirts.

#25 2023-03-28 06:08:12

RobbieB

I was at Jake's workshop picking up another shirt this morning. Very happy with my latest purchase.

Board footer