You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-24 03:19:53

FlatSixC

Grenfell Packing Up?

There’s very little left on their website with many items sold out or few sizes remaining. Also they appear to be selling off seconds and their factory equipment on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=355122063693&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2562&_ssn=mohaaz-5412

It will be a shame if they go, their stuff is great and the recent products live up to the old brand reputation. I know Unseen Scene is a fan.

I’ve got several raincoats but my Grenfell is the favourite, one of the first items I bought at John Simons, Russell St. I’ve been promising myself one of their Harringtons in Grenfell cloth for years - looks like I’ve missed the boat now.

#2 2023-10-24 08:00:02

An Unseen Scene

Re: Grenfell Packing Up?

I'm a fan as you say and now have four of their harringtons.

I found their product comes in cycles. They make a batch of items, sell them and then ready to go again. So stock does deplete and popular items become unavailable for a while. The selling of seconds and factory equipement is more alarming - but could be old stuff of course.   

The website has been updated since I last looked a few months ago.

Cordings are still selling Grenfell it seems.

I hope they keep going being high quality and still made in UK.

I aim to get the harrington in final colour if available in Spring - we'll see I guess.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-10-24 14:57:48)

#3 2023-10-24 13:02:03

FlatSixC

Oops - I posted some duff info above about few sizes being available on the Grenfell site: when you look at an item, say a Harrington jacket, if you click on the size box only size 34 shows i.e. there’s no drop down menu. However I discovered that if you fiddle about and ‘scroll’ on the figure 34, other sizes come up.

So a combination of my technical ineptitude and an un-user friendly website.

Like Unseen, I hope they keep going and providing quality raincoats and harringtons for future generations of Ivyists.

*********************************************************************Also - my years of deliberation are over so I have ordered a navy blue Harrington in Grenfell cloth.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-10-24 13:19:12)

#4 2023-10-25 05:46:03

AlveySinger

When it comes would you post a review please.

I'm really interested to see what the quality is like as they've always charged a premium for their stuff.

I do like the fact they still manufacture over here.

#5 2023-10-25 12:07:25

An Unseen Scene

Grenfell harringtons are cheaper than the Baracuta ones that JS is selling

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2023-10-25 12:07:45)

#6 2023-10-25 13:08:00

FlatSixC

^ Indeed - Grenfell used to be on the dear side, but they have held their prices for several years during which time other maker’s prices have overtaken theirs. Not bad in this era of deadly double digit inflation.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-10-25 13:08:21)

#7 2023-11-08 23:41:57

Horace

Grenfell made for a lot of people I believe. 

Perhaps their direct to consumer price stays the same, and they
Can afford to hold it because as manufacturers, they’ve got the margin
To do so when selling on Johnny interweb.  Corrections welcome

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#8 2023-11-18 03:43:15

FlatSixC

An update on the Grenfell Harrington which I ordered on 24 October. This has yet to arrive and, as reported in online reviews’, Grenfell are non responsive to email enquiries.

I telephoned them and got a lady who could speak very little English and kept saying ‘this is the warehou’. She couldn’t answer any questions so eventually I thanked her and hung up.

I messaged the seller on ebay who has listed all the Grenfell old stock and the sewing machines and he replied, saying that Grenfell were a different company and he had merely bought their stuff to sell it on. However strangely I noted that he had the same address as them!

I used a credit card when I order3d the jacket, so I’ll leave it a little longer then I’ll apply to get the money refunded back to me from my bank.

If Grenfell have gone to the wall it’s pretty poor that their website is still up and running taking people’s money off them.

#9 2023-11-18 04:47:14

An Unseen Scene

Hi, oh that doesn't sound good at all. I always found them responsive if slow on email.

If they have gone, there will be nobody paid to take down the website. It normally only happens when the money isn't paid to the hosting company or the administrator instructs it to come down.

It sounds like it is in the zone between ceasing operations and appointing an administrator.

There is not anything at companies house:
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09789551

It is worth saying the Grenfell of now, isn't the same one as originally - the rights and patterns are part of the new Grenfell that has only existed since 2015.

There are ghost websites for bust companies all over.

#10 2023-11-18 06:26:00

Streetlight

Sad news if true. Grenfell are a much better fit than Baracuta, which seem to be shaped to fit a grey alien's body.

#11 2023-11-19 10:34:21

AlveySinger

The amount of quality, vintage raincoats out there must have an impact on new sales. My own raincoat needs were met by recently purchasing a lovely vintage Burberry.

It's strange that as the UK gets milder and much wetter you'd expect quality raincoat makers to prosper - even if outsourcing production

I appreciate a lot of the youngsters are happy buying hybrid, sports inspired coats but I would of thought there's enough iGent interest to keep Grenfell  going.

#12 2023-11-22 09:47:30

FlatSixC

With any luck the last chapter in my ill fated Grenfell Harrington purchase:
An email today saying that while packing my jacket they had noticed a fault on it and that as they didn’t have any more stock of the item they were removing it from their website. They are refunding to my credit card and offer a 10% discount on future purchases, I doubt I will taking them up on this.  No mention of the four previous emails I had sent them.
Once the refund goes through I will turn my attention elsewhere. I don’t need the Harrington anyway, it was just needless self indulgence haha!

#13 2023-11-22 11:17:29

An Unseen Scene

I had this when I ordered an olive one I think it was, they offered me green which I accepted and when it arrived it was olive looking anyway.

#14 2024-01-18 09:35:23

Half Mast

Any updates on Grenfell's status?

I e-mailed them a couple of days ago and subscribed to their mailing list (hoping for a discount) but heard nowt.

Don't fancy taking a punt on one of their Harringtons in case it's all gone pear-shaped; their sizing guide isn't working too sad

Last edited by Half Mast (2024-01-18 09:36:20)

#15 2024-01-18 09:44:02

An Unseen Scene

If they don't reply then I'd count them out.

For sizing, the modern fit was right for me and I'm not slim. It's straight rather than roomy pear shaped.

#16 2024-01-18 09:52:11

Half Mast

Thanks for the info.

Did you size up?

#17 2024-01-18 10:46:47

An Unseen Scene

I didn't and was okay.

#18 2024-01-19 01:09:46

Staxfan

Cordings of Piccadilly still appear to stock the Grenfell golf jacket, (G4 style) in 3 colours

#19 2024-01-19 01:16:52

Half Mast

Thanks for the info. I've got a London Fog G4 in beige and was fancying a dark-coloured G9. Not paying Baracuta's prices and prefer to buy British wherever possible. The Grenfell's look nice. I may try to source one from a UK stockist.

Any other recommendations for a well-made "authentic" G9?

Bill.

#20 2024-01-19 10:18:24

An Unseen Scene

I have checked comparators - Wolsey used to do a decent one made in UK, but now gone. Private White do one but expensive and a bit different in style. I had hopes for Lancashire Pike at one stage but they came and went quickly.

#21 2024-01-19 11:53:01

Half Mast

Thanks.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Private White one earlier today; went weak at the knees when I saw the savings (70% off, reduced from £595 to £179). I'll probably kick myself but I just couldn't get over the modern styling and popper buttons. Think they've since sold out of my size.

Still contemplating the Community Clothing G9 at £145. Ticks a lot of the boxes but I read a few dismissive comments about it on another thread, so I'm in two minds.

#22 2024-01-19 12:08:36

An Unseen Scene

Yes I wondered about the CC too.
I had to return my raincoat.

I often hesitate to mention scene oriented clothing, but the green Mac I got from Jump The Gun was good and they say made in UK. So not checked but I assume they also do a Harrington.

#23 2024-01-20 01:26:59

Staxfan

A lot of G9’s seem to come up on Markkt, various labels and some are NWT, might be worth checking......

#24 2024-01-20 03:21:39

RobbieB

Stax- I missed out on a navy G9 on Markkt unworn. It went very quickly. I always need a time of reflection to avoid impulse buys and that is why I often miss out on bargains.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#25 2024-01-20 03:24:13

Half Mast

Thanks for that. Wasn't really aware of Markkt; I'll keep my eye open.

Board footer