You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-01 19:30:54

Jdemy

J Press 100’s

Just tried this $185 (!) shirt - with no flap pocket, and I like it. Thoughts?

#2 2023-12-04 12:23:17

FlatSixC

Re: J Press 100’s

They look good Jdemy, are the collars unlined? Always more comfortable and promotes a good roll. The pocket flap detail never really did much for me personally, so the absence of one would be a plus point.

If I were in New York I would certainly go and have a look at them. Sadly the (for Brits) bad exchange rate, import charges, inflation of prices and particularly shipping costs combine to make ordering from companies like J Press very expensive if you are in the UK. To the point that made to measure shirts would be cheaper.

It’s no longer possible to look at the Brooks Brothers US web site from the UK as it automatically diverts you to their EU site which is pretty hopeless. We are in a winter of Ivy discontent here.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-12-04 12:25:27)

#3 2023-12-04 15:42:31

AlveySinger

Jdemy,

Their website pics never do the merchandise justice.

Talk us through the shirt. How does it differ from their regular shirts?

#4 2023-12-09 18:06:15

Jdemy

So- first off, sorry for my delay in responding. 

My experience with this expensive shirt is from a thrift shop find. I was wasting time in a church thrift shop and just by touching the fabric of this shirt was interested to know who made it. I guess my fingers have become sensitive to grades of cotton and this jumped out at me. In general, I find more and more that nothing outside of Brooks Brother’s vintage makers bought online interests me.

The shirt made an impression on me because it felt like a kind of weave I like: an almost percale-like, “dry??  finish to the surface of the fabric. It doesn’t have the familiar thinness of a Brooks Brother’s pinpoint- and is stiffer. The collar is definitely lined. So, if you’re looking for the rumpled Oxford cloth style- this isn’t it. It has a crispness and a feeling of higher quality and I was happy to buy it.  Why——-? Because:

I don’t like counting on finding vintage shirts for the rest of my life. This presented a nice alternative and one currently in production. I also have never been a fan of the flap pocket and don’t like its callback to the military shirts Press was probably making for the war. So I was happily surprised to find they also made this pocket-less version. I had a shirt made at Mercers once- and this was clearly better, for my taste. (I don’t know what Mercer is charging- but I bet it’s more nowadays)

The shirt is in the wash now- when it’s back I’ll get some other observations up here.

#5 2023-12-12 08:02:51

FlatSixC

Thanks for the report Jdemy, it sounds like the sort of shirt you would hope for from the venerable Press. I’m down my last three Brooks Makers shirts that are still in their packets, I haven’t looked on ebay for more for a long time, they generally over priced and there’s all the aforementioned mentioned problems of buying from the USA that we poor Brits have to endure.

#6 2024-03-05 08:19:15

Jdemy

I’m gonna head to J Press today if I finish work in time. I think the shirt I like of theirs is actually a broadcloth model. I was happy to find they even sell a broadcloth shirt!

#7 2024-03-08 07:04:03

Jdemy

I’m officially done with eBay and vintage Brooks Brothers makers.  Went to J Press and got 2 pinpoint button down oxfords with no lining or fusing or anything in the collar, placket or cuffs and I’m done. I have a collection of makers that will last until they don’t- but this is a great shirt. And no flap pocket, by the way.

Last edited by Jdemy (2024-03-08 07:04:39)

#8 2024-03-19 05:58:26

Jdemy

And they have now been through the wash and look great. In fact, they’re superior to my Mercer shirts. I’d avoided J. Press all these years because of those flap pockets not realizing that, 1, they have other styles, and 2, I was devoted to Makers.

Board footer