You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-23 07:24:02

Staxfan

John Simons Winter Sale 2024

Just popped up on FB that the JS sale starts this Saturday,
There's nothing I need, has anyone got their eye on anything ?

#2 2024-01-23 09:35:47

FlatSixC

Re: John Simons Winter Sale 2024

Nothing to see here, move on.

#3 2024-01-23 11:36:18

AlveySinger

I have been pleased with my recent Vetra purchases so would be tempted if anything in my size is discounted.

Doubtful shetlands will be in the sale but if so....

I would really like one of the Italian overcoats but doubtful if I can stretch to it.

#4 2024-01-27 04:51:42

FlatSixC

A lot more added to their sale page this morning, including those Italian overcoats Alvey.

#5 2024-01-27 04:57:46

Staxfan

It looks like the biggest sale they've had in a few years,(unusually) big savings and plenty of sizes, if I didn't have enough shetlands already I'd be tempted by the yellow,

#6 2024-01-27 06:37:40

Tim

likewise tempted by the yellow shetland. No saving in it by the time I get it to Ireland. Very pissed off that the overcoat I bought when it was released in December is in the sale in my size at a significant reduction. Nothing else I really need or want.
JS is now one of those places that I'll call in to when I'm in the area but they're now not doing anything I can't live without - and quite often I can find simillar things elsewhere, for less - especially within the eurozone.

#7 2024-01-27 08:10:53

Staxfan

Tim - I had the same situation with my JS overcoat last year, annoying but I put it behind me as I love wearing the coat, I’d held on for a few years running waiting for an overcoat in my size to be in the sale and always missed out, hey-ho....

#8 2024-01-28 03:54:30

AlveySinger

I remember past sales when retailers always appeared to have limitless stock and the sales guaranteed hefty savings.I would rock up earl and buy things based on savings and marvel at how many items I’d gotten at a discount.

Unfortunately those golden days are long gone. I have missed out on more than I care to remember. Overcoats from Cordings, Keydge wool jackets, Brooks ocbd’s to name but a few. The stores I like carry much less stock.

I would now rather pay full price and guarantee to get that one great item.Like a teenager I still get a thrill unwrapping items when I get them home.

It’s most likely an age thing and I’m very fortunate to already have most things I want so I’m simply replacing worn items.

Yesterday I was in Glasgow for a funeral but as we sat down for the wake old habits die hard. The convenience of online shopping. Between the soup course and main I purchased a navy Shetland.

#9 2024-01-28 05:40:34

FlatSixC

Alvey - ‘ Between the soup course and main I purchased a navy Shetland.’

Haha, funerals can have that effect on you. I’ve never been to a funeral where there was a sit-down meal afterwards… is that a Scottish thing?

#10 2024-01-29 16:19:50

AlveySinger

FSC,

I don't think it is but it's the first Scottish funeral I've attended. The meal was down to the kindness of the in-laws. About 60 sat down for lunch.

Very, very hospitable people. Highly respected in the local community.

I don't think I've been to such a well attended funeral before.

Made me think I should change my wicked ways. Probably too late.

#11 2024-01-30 11:06:59

Kingston1an

Making time to buy stuff on a mobile phone is a bigger surprise. I often don't carry one and I don't use it for purchases.

Not had a meal at a funeral but there was dancing at my brother in law's post funeral drink/buffet.

He was dearly missed so we were not dancing on his grave
He was cremated anyway.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#12 2024-01-31 16:17:49

AlveySinger

Kingy

Must be a generational thing.I spend les time on my mobile than most but it’s an important tool.

Like many of my generation we’ve given up on land lines and our mobiles have become our main phones

The lack of high street banks means you need an app to move money around so your mobile is essential.

ApplePay stops the need for cash

Most of the restaurants I use require online booking/deposits so again I use my mobile.

Conversations with friends are typically done whilst commuting so again my mobile comes into play.

Unlike my daughters generation who live on their phones and use them for viewing content I use mine to help me achieve more with my time.

#13 2024-03-02 03:16:49

Staxfan

Anyone planning to go to the one-day-only basement sale in CS next Saturday ?

#14 2024-03-02 05:38:40

RobbieB

Stax- I was planing on going but family commitments prevent me from doing so. Good for my bank balance anyway. Do you think there will be any bargains to be had or will they be selling some of those strange seconds hand items (Tommy Cooper Fez etc.) that have been on offer in recent times?

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#15 2024-03-03 00:53:32

Staxfan

TBH Robbie I think it’ll be all the oddments they have laying around, be nice to think they’d be some gems amongst the rest but I doubt it, I personally wouldn’t make the 3-4 hour round trip just to see what they had in the basement but if I had a reason to be in town next Saturday I’d look in to see what’s there,

#16 2024-03-03 15:40:48

FlatSixC

The mythical basement, forbidden territory to all but the real insiders - high priests of Ivy style. It continues to exert a draw on the rest of us mere mortals.

#17 2024-03-10 03:11:41

RobbieB

Looks like there was a big turn out on Saturday for the basement sale. Queuing for 2 hrs to get in, apparently . Glad I didn't go.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#18 2024-03-10 03:18:35

Staxfan

Be interested to hear from anyone who went yesterday and if they found any bargains, there was a message from Woof on FB saying he dropped in there on Friday and apparently there was some leftovers from Russell St knocking around, like you Robbie I wouldn't have queued for 2 hours, I get impatient if I wait more than a few minutes to get a pint !

#19 2024-03-10 05:46:23

colin
Bright Light

Nothing of particular note in my sizes once I got in. Thought about a cheap BD Baggies shirt, but decided against it. I'm sure some people got bargains, but most likely the larger customers!

A pint with Woof worth the trip in, though.

#20 2024-03-10 08:59:21

Kingston1an

I thought the only people that queued for clothing these days were young Chinese folk interested in designer labels in the January sales.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#21 2024-03-10 13:23:17

FlatSixC

Kingston1an- haha!
I’ve often observed people queuing to go into hip clothing shops like Hollister, or the coffee bar at Ralph Lauren and I’ve thought to myself … ‘you sad b*stards, I’d never do that’.
Then I found myself doing just that in Chiltern Street. But it was quite pleasant in the early spring sunshine and I chatted to a couple of fellow enthusiasts. When I finally got into the hallowed basement I soon realised that the selection was limited for someone of average stature, so I had to make do with the smug satisfaction of leaving with my wallet undisturbed. As reported, further compensation was provided by an excellent pint at the Barley Mow in the good company of Colin.

Board footer