You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-28 05:26:48

FlatSixC

‘The Holdovers’

Mrs Flat6 and I went to see this film the other night, we both really enjoyed it and I would say that it has supplanted Animal House as the best film ever in terms of its Ivy wardrobe.  While Animal House, it has to be said, was  all about puerile frat boy humour, The Holdovers is a well acted film with a good storyline about the relationship between a difficult student and a curmudgeonly old teacher.

It is set in a fusty New England prep school at the end of the 1960s.  Our topic of interest is the abounding Ivy style of the whole, predominantly male cast. The opening sequence in the school dining room shows straight off that the film makers really did their homework on how people dressed in those places. For lessons and meals the students are attired to the minimum standards of the school i.e. collar and tie, but with plenty of casual items worked in … straight out of the pages of Take Ivy. The camera then switches to the staff table where the teachers are wearing a far more traditional, professorial version of the style, largely tweed and corduroy.

The whole film is a delight, the wardrobe of the characters, the camera work, locations, the lighting and the texture of the colour all deliver the feel of a film from the early 70s … think of The Graduate.

I highly recommend it. The film can be streamed on Amazon, but worth its going to the cinema for. It’s doing the rounds at Odeons and independent cinema chains.

#2 2024-02-29 02:54:18

Tomiskinky

Re: ‘The Holdovers’

Indeed, saw it when it came out and lauded over the styling and cinematography. Such a great story too, think Paul Giamatti is a good shoe in for an Oscar (but it'll go to Murphy). My stand out piece from the film is the red Eddie Bauer Blizzard Proof Yukon jacket on Ye-Joon.

Agree, it's really one for the cinema, but then I think most films should be seen in that environment - you can tell from the trailers what will bring you back.

#3 2024-02-29 04:07:08

An Unseen Scene

Interested to read, thank you.  I'll look out for this one

#4 2024-02-29 08:05:07

RobbieB

Funnily enough I was on the bus yesterday and as I passed the local Ocean I wondered if there were any good films to see. After reading your post FlatSixC I checked and the film is being shown next Thursday. A seat costs the same as Amazon so I'll go and give it a look.
I get a kick out of spotting Ivy details in films

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#5 2024-03-07 10:22:12

RobbieB

I went to see this film today. Very impressed with the accuracy regarding clothes for the period 1970/71. It was my era and the older boys would have been my age. The film was spot on and a delight. Only five people in the cinema so the film doesn't seem to have gained any traction with the Southend public.

#6 2024-03-22 01:44:28

Staxfan

Late to the party but I went to see this film yesterday at my local Everyman cinema, I went last Sunday but despite the efforts of 3 engineers they couldn’t get the film to work! I didn’t mind too much as I could go yesterday and they gave me 2 free tickets to see anything showing at anytime, I enjoyed the film, the Ivy detail was very accurate particularly with the teachers as mentioned, you could see the changes in the style of the older students, by Christmas 1970 I had started my distancing from Ivy as many 17/18 year olds in the London area did, stopped the bd’s bring in the point collar shirts from the Squire shop & Quincy’s ! Robbie will remember!

#7 2024-03-22 05:49:25

RobbieB

Indeed I remember it well Stax. By '71 my mates were all ditching the BD shirts. I collected them up because I was off to College and didn't have a lot of money for clothes. I bought my first Gloverall duffel coat in '72   Would not have been seen dead in one 69/70. In 69/70 wearing American brogues, 1972 Swedish clogs FFS!
I've got a craving for a duffel coat now but not clogs, Swedish or otherwise. HaHa

#8 2024-03-22 06:28:17

Half Mast

Long-time duffel coat wearer, since my childhood/school days. Just donated my last purchase (from the late 70s) to a charity shop.

Quite fancy a Gloverall Monty one if I can snag a NWT bargain. Might have to be more adventurous this time and opt for the navy colour instead of camel smile

Just come across these. Anyone have experience with this brand? A big sale promo at the moment with a 70% off price of £200 reduced from £350.

https://uk.originalmontgomery.com/collections/mens-duffle-coat-classic-fit-wooden-toggles/products/mens-duffle-coat-classic-fit-wooden-toggles-navy

Last edited by Half Mast (2024-03-22 06:40:16)

#9 2024-03-22 06:48:27

RobbieB

Marrkt have loads of new and old stock Gloverall duffel coats for sale.

Are Gloverall in trouble or is it just the changing of the seasons?

#10 2024-03-22 07:02:29

Half Mast

Thanks Robbie. Checked out the Maarkt ones and unfortunately they don't have a small size available in the Original Monty ones, otherwise.........wink

#11 2024-03-22 07:41:39

FlatSixC

Don’t know how the present Gloveralls compare with old ones, as I’ve never owned one.

I’ve had a Montgomery for many years, they also claim to be the original - who knows?
It gets worn a handful of times a year, as I progress towards my 70s it may see more action during wintertime, if not someone will get a good buy at the charity shop.

#12 2024-03-22 07:45:37

An Unseen Scene

Gloverall coats now are still ace - I used to have some vintage ones I replaced eventually with new ones and it's all still wonderful quality, made in UK, excellent materials, good finishing on seams etc.  I see they are doing summer macs again (in longer length) this year which is a bit tempting....

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2024-03-22 07:45:51)

#13 2024-03-22 12:16:51

FlatSixC

Unseen - It’s good to hear of a UK maker that keeps it’s standards up.

#14 2024-03-23 01:29:34

An Unseen Scene

Yes, it is why I buy from them and Grenfell consistently. It is now rare rather than common.

Board footer