You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Art of the Handsewn... Rancourt & Co.

#1 2015-03-03 12:13:31

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

The Art of the Handsewn... Rancourt & Co.

The art and craft behind producing genuine handsewn moccasin shoes at Rancourt & Co. Shoecrafters in Lewiston, ME USA.

(url=)https://vimeo.com/59954553(url/)

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#2 2015-03-03 12:18:01

Yuca

Re: The Art of the Handsewn... Rancourt & Co.

Now we are talking quality loafers.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#3 2015-03-03 13:21:04

Worried Man

Very interesting.  Makes me somehow a little more proud to own a pair.  Also makes me want to put them on as soon as I get home.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2015-03-03 13:43:40

Oliver

I think that modern day Rancourt are better made and better looking shoes than boom years Bass.

I just wish they would offer more finishes. I especially love my venetian loafers but they don't do the dark cognac stain anymore which is a shame.

#5 2015-03-03 14:45:08

Tommy

Need to save up to get me some of their loafers.

#6 2022-06-18 16:10:59

Horace

chums, I got a pair of their camp moc recently.  love these things.  sole is different than the old LL Bean's than I had, but well-made, well-fitted, quality.  I'd buy more from these guys if I found something else I liked.

edit:  here's the link:

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/collections/mocs/products/gilman-camp-moc-carolina-brown-chromexcel#

Last edited by Horace (2022-06-18 16:15:52)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2022-06-19 01:37:31

RobbieB

Those Rancourt shoes do look like a quality product. I don't have a pair myself. Looks like I might have to save up and get myself a pair.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#8 2022-06-19 01:45:11

AFS

Rancourt cropped up conversation a little while ago: at least one for (Yuca), at least one against (TRS).  Horace, therefore, gets the casting vote.
But I would have thought (sight unseen) that they're going to be better than anything Bean currently has to offer.  I still value Bean in some ways (used to love poring over their catalogues in years gone by): their thick cotton shirts are an English autumn/winter go-to for wearing beneath my Gloverall (and with a college scarf), but I can still summon a shudder when I recollect those polyester horrors my ole Dad brought back with him from Hartford CT.

#9 2022-06-19 02:36:57

Yuca

Better than contemporary Bean? The 2 don't even belong in the same sentence.

Last edited by Yuca (2022-06-19 02:37:33)

#10 2022-06-19 02:40:32

AFS

^ Spot on, I should say.

#11 2022-06-19 02:45:37

AFS

I cannot quite recall TRSs objections, but doubtless they were based on solid reasoning.

#12 2022-06-19 02:55:55

Yuca

As I recall his objections were aesthetic, rather than related to the quality. I can't say I like all or even the majority of Rancourt's shoes either. Some look superb though. Add in high quality leather and construction.

#13 2022-06-19 09:24:52

AFS

I believe Yuca is correct on this point.

#14 2022-06-21 00:29:22

Horace

Don’t care for majority of offerings but thought they
Nailed the camp moc. 

I got a pair of Alden chukkas recently.

The non cordo are expensive now.  Suede (reverse calf) about
USD650.   I can’t say I like the form or “silhouette??  or whatever the hell you’d call it

I have to say I much prefer the old Clarks.

But I wanted to buy something quality and they are well-made.

So I suspect I won’t be wearing them.

At least for a while. I think it’s the toe area that’s a little weird for me

I’d rather have spent the money on a new pair of Alden Penny loafers. Which I think they make wonderfully. So I know our old chum JFM had no great love esp for the cordo, which I think a wonderful shoo.

I don’t make too many expensive mistakes with clothing anymore.  And hardly ever with shoes. 

Though some dubious sailing gear and a few pairs of trousers are the only i can think of that come to mind.  And my double breasted Burberry which I can’t take seriously and was painfully expensive at the time.

Last edited by Horace (2022-06-21 00:32:10)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#15 2024-02-04 12:58:11

Horace

just an update:  I've beaten the hell out of the camp moc.  For some town wear, but a lot of actual camping (if of the glamping variety).  they've held up.  I don't think they'd need to be resoled for more than a few years.  By that time I think the inners would wear.  The soles are tough.  I was happy to pay the $200+ for these compared to the old Bean's I had for ages and ages.

They do have a complete restoration service but that's a little speedy compared to buying another pair.  Anyway, I recommend them. 

I also got a pair of boating shoes.  The old school brown with white sole.  Very nice.  Though I still maintain a prejudice against wearing these anywhere save on deck.  But if I adhere to this stricture, they'll be in the box for a while!

Also -- I finally picked up a new pair of Alden cordos.  My god, expensive (I think about $800) but very well made.  They look great.  And very comfortable. No ill affect on the ol' back.  I did want the old Brooks unlined version but the 987 is just fine.  Press sells a version (the same?) but I didn't find in the shop.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Art of the Handsewn... Rancourt & Co.

Board footer