You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-29 12:17:34

Tworussellstreet

The Paraboot Problem

How I love that classic Paraboot Michael, so clunky, original and distinctive. Beautifully made and indestructible. I've always loved them, long admired them on other people, so finally treated myself to a pair last year. But I've almost reached the point where I just think they are unwearable and incompatible with the lines of The Ivy Look. This morning I'd put together a pseudo-McQueen type combo of roll neck, Brooks tweed herringbone sack and white Levis. I was looking forward to rounding off the look by digging out my Paraboots which I was hoping would take the edge off the overt Bullitt rip-off I was so blatantly sporting, and give the look a smidgen of mythical 'French Ivy'. But they just didn't work. The balance was wrong. I looked like I had clown shoes on my feet. So I ask - how do you incorporate these beauties, which I remain absolutely determined to regularly wear, into the lines and silhouettes of the style we all love. Do jeans work? Heavy corduroy? Doctor doctor - I need your prescription for Paraboot health.

#2 2022-09-29 13:35:24

Tim

Re: The Paraboot Problem

The heavier the better trouser-wise in my opinion. I do think they go well with blue denim (in all it's varying shades) but I personally would never contemplate wearing mine with white Levi's, or anything much beyond beige.
Mine are the marron brown, as opposed to the darker cafe and I've found they work especially well with beige chinos, dark olive chinos & lighter olive army fatigues. I don't think they'd pair altogether well with navy cords however but I could see them with bottle green.

I also think they might be a bit mismatched with the tweed sack. I'd be more inclined to go down the harrington route or pea-coat for when it turns cold.

Thats my tuppence worth

#3 2022-09-29 14:01:50

FlatSixC

To wear them properly you have to be a French farmer and drive a Citreon 2CV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQHhyT1mHs

But for the rest of us …. I  have to agree that they just look wrong with any outfit that has any pretensions of smartness or Ivyness. I’m not even sure why John Simons sells them really apart from some link with the French Look. They are something of an aberration, they are workwear even though they have been around many years before that term was applied to sturdy casual clothes. For me they only seem to work with a decidedly casual get up. Definitely jeans are okay with Michaels, maybe cords, preferably topped off with a combat jacket, peacoat, dufflecoat, shetland - Rugged Ivy perhaps?  They are warm and comfortable for longer walks around the city. A shoe to be savoured during the colder months, although Tim reports wearing them in the summer with no socks - a revelation that shocked me to the core. Despite all the blah about Norwegian stitching both the pairs I’ve owned leaked in  the rain. But I will continue to wear them and enjoy the odd moment when you encounter someone else wearing some- and you get the look and the nod.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-09-29 14:03:21)

#4 2022-09-29 14:37:14

Spendthrift

First time I saw Paraboots it reminded me of the first time I noticed lug soled boat shoes in the mid eighties; ‘I hate them. They’re chunky. They’re ugly. But I can’t stop looking at them. I love them.’

I don’t own any (yet) but they’re one of the very few items that I would pay the full asking for. I think all models are beautiful.

Michaels are probably the most overtly ‘French’ so go the full mythical French? Chore jacket, lumpy cords, moleskin, heavy khakis or ankle swingin’ turned up denim. Turtle neck sweater. The full Monty (Don)

As long as you avoid the Kevin Rowland approach and don’t take it as far as an oversize beret and string of onions around your neck it should all be good

#5 2022-09-29 15:05:57

AlveySinger

I think the problem is the tweed jacket. Feels too formal with a more casual soled shoe.
I would think the heavier sole would demand some Vetra cords, a pea coat and maybe a watch cap.
I’m sure there is a Robert Redford look that comes to mind.
Chambray shirt and Shetland would also look great.
Dark denim rather than any thing faded.
The LLBean barn coat works too.
The look is far more New England than New Bond Street.

#6 2022-09-29 17:02:17

Runninggeez

TRS, maybe talk to (DR)Peter Kinnaird, he favours the Michaels and always looks good in a variety of outfits.

Personally I've always thought they look best with denim, I bought my first pair back in '85 along with a pair of narrow legged (non selvedge) Edwin's, but it was the eighties. Later on I paired them with cuffed rusty brown corduroy's and a lightweight grey flannel trouser, I thought it worked.

#7 2022-09-30 01:15:46

AndyV

I wore a pair of Michaels yesterday for my six-weekly meeting with an old schoolmate of mine.  Tweed Keydge, battered old Ralph button down, ankle-swinging dark denim, Anonymous ism socks, cord cap. Not sure whether it worked but I looked completely different to everybody else in the pub. Conversation: Sport, music, football, politics, clothes, family. Just swap the family bit for the girls in our class and we coukd have been back in 1970...

#8 2022-09-30 05:01:04

McGeorge Bundyburger

Wearing a pair of "marron"-coloured Michaels today, with olive bedford 5 pockets and a chambray shirt, plus a navy melton harrington when I had to step out.  Think they look quite good in this combo, though that could be my vanity.  By and large, I wear Michaels and Chambords with denim or maybe cord, in a casual look.  Avignons work well with tweeds though, IMO.

#9 2022-09-30 10:18:28

Tworussellstreet

Plenty of sparky ideas there. I think the problem may just be the strangeness of the shape on my feet, and the weight of the shoe. All my other shoes are rather refined but the Paraboot is the ugly-beautiful Jean-Paul Belmondo of the classic shoe world. It demands a certain swagger, a confident stride, a bold demeanour. I need to grow a pair of cojones and get out there and wow the kids with my weird shoes.

#10 2022-09-30 10:41:05

An Unseen Scene

Work well with drill jeans / heavy canvas chinos. Then a tweed style jacket works well. How they look on from above to the wearer if not how they look to others, so as you say - just do it.

#11 2022-11-09 04:40:24

Kingston1an

Hello,

White trahseez is the problem - not footwear.

Unable to login at home. In library at the moment.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#12 2022-11-09 05:49:39

AlveySinger

I tried on my first pair of chunky soled Para's the other day. I own the deck shoe/loafer from John's that have been superb.

I really wanted to like them but they looked far too clunky with the Orslow jeans I was wearing.

Sadly as much as I like the look of them online they just don't suit me.

But there is still the Aldens, Rancourts, Quoddy, Sebago and Brooks shoes I've seen to lust after.

#13 2022-11-09 08:01:42

Staxfan

Alvey - I have the same problem as you with Para's, I too have the deck shoe/loafer ( from Stuart's as JS didn't have my size), and even with my knackered feet they are very comfortable, I tried on a pair of Michaels when I was in Stuart's, ( early last year), and they seemed too chunky for me, I've been considering the Avignon, I should have tried a pair ( for future reference), when I was in CS 2-3 weeks ago, this reminded me that a while ago I'd been looking at a Cheaney shoe ' Chiswick' which is a ' Gibson' like the Avignon , unfortunately they seem to be currently out of production, on the ' outlet' section of the Cheaney website they have the 'Deal Derby in Mohogany Grain Leather' ( dainite sole), on offer for £100 off,(most sizes I think),  I have a pair of these from John Rushton's around 6 years ago, lovely shoe, £100 off looks a great deal to me .....

#14 2022-11-10 05:29:27

AlveySinger

Stax,
Glad it's not just me who finds them too chunky

#15 2022-11-10 07:04:15

FlatSixC

There’s no denying the chunky nature of Michaels, frankly they look a bit out of place with a tailored jacket and trousers and work better with a rugged casual look, say jeans and a peacoat. They definitely improve with age and get increasingly comfortable, the problem is that your feet get used to it!  The Avignons are a bit more dressy and I have worn them with a suit for work, the suede ones are particularly good.

Overall, I love the quality and sturdiness of Paraboots, the rubber soles are indefatigable making them an excellent winter shoe. I can’t deal with the fright factor of leather soled shoes on slippery surfaces just to look good.

#16 2022-11-11 10:01:46

Kingston1an

The chunkiness issue is solved if you switch to Klemon Padror. Same Tyrolean(?) shape upper, but less agricultural sole and no annoying label on the outside. John Simons stocked them too - if that helps.

The soles squeak though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#17 2022-11-22 10:43:51

Staxfan

Modern Draper have a Black Friday deal going on including Paraboots, around 20% discount, so around 70 something quid off, don’t usually see discounts on Paraboots unless they’re oddments,I didn’t go for Paraboots but ordered a pair of Astorflex green flex @ £108 and free shipping, these are basically replacements for a pair coming to the end of their time, in a couple of years I’ll probably wished I’d ordered 2 pairs !

#18 2022-11-25 03:52:54

Staxfan

Hadn't had an update from MD re the Astorflex boots so I emailed them yesterday just asking for an update on the delivery, I had a call from a very apologetic lady about an hour later, they'd sold out in my size, the website hadn't been updated, it happens, an email advising the credit back to my card came shortly afterwards, so it was disappointing but 10/10 to them for customer service, I managed to find replacements from Stuarts, cost £12 more but free delivery and they've arrived this morning luckily whilst Mrs Stax is out and she won't notice when I wear them !

#19 2022-12-25 07:13:06

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Wear them with heavy cords on the baggy side, maybe blue jeans.

For the Levi’s Whites pair them with with sneakers or perhaps with loafers or desert boots.

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#20 2022-12-27 05:11:44

Rivella

I wear mine with slim, cuffed trousers with little to no break. Cords in winter and chinos in summer, works quite well. The Asian/Japanses look with a perference for rather wide trousers should be avoided with a Europen complexion, looks awful.

#21 2024-02-06 04:02:31

AlveySinger

Last year on a family trip to Paris I discovered we were staying close to a Paraboot store.

Having done some homework there were some college style loafers in the current collection. Brighton if I recall.

Off I ventured, warmed by Cognac for breakfast, Euro's in hand with Mrs Singer who whilst fluent in French really can't see what all the fuss is about.

I know upon entering the store I'll be on the receiving end of "Having you already got something similar."

The Brighton loafers are nice but come up a little to high on my foot but Mrs Singer spots the chunky Reims loafers.

"These are a bit different. Why don't you try a pair on."

Obviously being a gentleman, who never likes to disappoint a lady, I agree and hey presto some five minutes later I own a lovely pair of brown pair Reims.

The challenge of what to wear with such a chunky shoe quickly becomes apparent. Trousers that break slightly over normal loafers look too short due to the chunky sole. Also, any trousers too narrow creates a Max Wall look. You can't wear a normal jacket with them as the contrast is too stark.

I have found that they work really well with navy cords, dark denim, my Vetra Curly Wurly chore jacket, heavier belts ( not surcingle) and chambray and cord button downs.I top the look off with a black watch scarf and navy melton cap that in my eyes is reminiscent of a beret.

You have to adopt a more French rather than college/60's look.

I also spotted some older French chaps were wearing chunky soled Para's with tweed trousers, Loden overcoats and long flowing scarves.

#22 2024-02-09 03:25:26

Staxfan

Paraboot Adonis Loafer - Has anyone seen these in the flesh ? From the online pictures I've seen they seem to have a normal ( non chunky) sole, and no tags ..... I'm warming to these,

#23 2024-02-09 07:10:37

FlatSixC

Staxfan - I can’t really comment on the Adonis loafer, I have an old vintage pair with leather soles but they’ve changed since the rubber soles were introduced.

Alvey - ‘ Last year on a family trip to Paris I discovered we were staying close to a Paraboot store.’

I do agree about the issues of wearing chunky sole Paraboots, they don’t work with tight leg jeans or trousers - which I have not worn for some years anyway. I am fond of the French Look you refer to, I don’t own a Loden coat but I do have a couple of long overcoats. Paraboots also work well with a duffle coat. They are my go-to winter shoe.

When in Paris I’m enthused with Frenchness and always drawn to go into a Paraboot store if I see one. Their lines rarely change but it’s always nice to see them all on display. We were there in April last year and went into one near the Bois de Bouloigne. The shop was run by a mature, very helpful, friendly, statuesque and attractive  French lady. As she knelt down to assist me in trying on some Rheims loafers I had to direct my gaze upwards due to the low cut sweater she was wearing, notwithstanding the fact that I was under the scrutiny of Mrs Flat Six

As a committed Parabootaphile I’ve always fancied the Rheims loafer. Their shoes are of course made with different lasts, while the Michael and the Avignon fit me perfectly, the Chambord moc toe were very uncomfortable - for me. With the Rheims, for some reason, I seem to fall between two sizes, even a half size didn’t work for me. Loafers must fit me now, too often I’ve made the mistake of suffering by trying trying to wear them too tight or trying to wear insoles in shoes that were too loose and felt as though they were about to fall off.

Having tried on three sizes of Rheims loafer unsuccessfully I felt it was really time to move on, although I could have happily stayed much longer.

#24 2024-02-09 13:43:14

AlveySinger

Stax,
Yes, saw Adonis - featured on my insta.

Amazing. But they were burnished leather unlike the images I've seen from Trunk and Dicks.

Yes, it's a normal rubber City soul. Not chunky.

#25 2024-02-09 13:46:20

AlveySinger

My issue with the Rheims is that they have stretched. Soft leather has flexed.

I went to three different stores trying on various shoes in attempt to get the best fit

Board footer