You are not logged in.

#26 2023-11-04 14:13:16

FlatSixC

Re: PARIS...THE SEARCH FOR FRENCH IVY

https://ericbrightwell.com/2014/10/09/vive-les-minets-french-dandyism-in-the-1960s/

A blog write up on Les Minets I stumbled across.

#27 2023-11-05 07:22:39

colin
Bright Light

"Chambray button downs, a brown JS herringbone jacket, cords or jeans, a Grenfell mac and Paraboots or dessies" - sounds ideal!

Never really found a chambray shirt that I've liked....I must try again to find one as that above look sounds perfect.

#28 2023-11-05 07:26:17

colin
Bright Light

....and spotted the FB post. Who makes the scarf? Might get one myself - great!

#29 2023-11-05 15:22:06

RobbieB

I wore a Jake's chambray shirt today. I believe the expression is 'its the bollocks'. A seriously 'tasty' shirt. None of your slim fit nonsense as it is a baggy beauty.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#30 2023-11-05 18:01:38

Yuca

My first ever Mercer was a chambray BD and it was a real beauty. I'm sure a Jake's would give it a run for its money though.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#31 2023-11-06 02:14:55

FlatSixC

Colin ‘ ....and spotted the FB post. Who makes the scarf? Might get one myself - great!’

It’s navy blue with khaki spots and an ideal length for me, it’s not as poncy as a Paisley Tootal and has become my favourite scarf for spring/autumn.  A random purchase, it came from Ted Baker in Richmond which is not a shop I would bother with as a rule, but Mrs Flat likes it in there and the scarf just jumped out at me. I don’t expect they make it any more.

#32 2023-11-06 04:27:19

RobbieB

Oh FlatSixC, less of the 'poncy Paisley Tootal'. HaHa, that's what I was wearing yesterday with my chambray shirt. I did take it off in the pub though because I suspect I might have been subjected to a bit of mickey taking from the resident 'functioning' alcoholics.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#33 2023-11-06 06:27:28

An Unseen Scene

Worth a look on silk scarves: http://nicholsonandwalcot.co.uk/mens/

#34 2023-11-06 17:28:40

Streetlight

Nothing poncy about wearing a paisley rayon scarf to stop the scratchiness of a Shetland around my neck.

#35 2023-11-07 07:17:19

Kingston1an

No, but silk scarves are a bit cold initially. Whereas as wool requires no warm up period.

Post COVID, I now wear those neck gaiters. Cheap and cheerful. Shove them in a pocket, no bother.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#36 2023-11-07 07:34:03

AlveySinger

Best umbrella I've recently purchased - as I'm forever leaving them behind –  was a small Uniqlo. Small enough to fit in my briefcase whilst being sturdy enough in the wind.

I strongly recommend searching out Brooks Madison fit chambray shirts. They're typically available in three different shades of blue. As with Mercer they're proper roomy fits.

On the subject of scarves I really like a college/regimental style in Saxony wool. The Regimental Shop or Smart Turnout are good for these.

#37 2023-11-07 13:10:27

FlatSixC

Alvey - ‘ I strongly recommend searching out Brooks Madison fit chambray shirts.’

I could do with a new Chambray, how do you get to the Brooks US website? Every time I try to click on that my browser defaults to the Brooks EU site and there’s a limited range on there, not including Chambrays.

#38 2023-11-08 02:31:10

AlveySinger

FSC

Sadly you can't direct access the USA website anymore.

I would call a USA store directly or get the USA customer services email.

Also look on Amazon. Brooks have a presence on there.

There were some NWT on Ebay recently too.

I bought mine earlier in the year whilst on holiday in the States.

#39 2023-11-08 03:16:37

Staxfan

I didn't think it worth starting a new thread as we have so few threads on the go these days..... But, I thought this might be of interest to some at least, a FB page ' The Mods' has cropped up a few times, I've taken a look and there is the usual stale comments from guys from the 60's ( we were all smart in suits etc), and the guys from the 80's with their Jam outfits, BUT, there is a guy called Patrick Uden (some of you might know of him, but a new-ish name to me), making some very good contributions, art school mod (dob 1946), and still very much forward thinking, I believe he's making a contribution to the magazine that recently carried an article about Chiltern St, ( interview with Sean ?), for me it's still fascinating to hear stories from guys from that period of 'mod' , the transition from 1950's modernists before it went public in 1964 , let's face it we might think of ourselves as ' Ivyists' but it all started from being a mod, or mod-wannabee in our younger lives,

#40 2023-11-08 06:51:22

FlatSixC

Alvey - ‘Sadly you can't direct access the USA website anymore.’

I thought as much, perhaps I need one of those dynamic ISP proxy oohjamaflips!

#41 2024-02-19 03:42:23

FlatSixC

I shall continue to pursue a  French Ivy look this year. With spring/summer just around the corner, I have acquired one of John Simons stripey boating blazers and it will be one of the pillars of my SS24 wardrobe. To be worn in a louche manner with Lacoste polos, white jeans or chinos and plimsolls or loafers with no socks. I may even get a grandad collarless shirt.  Am thinking of getting sunglasses with light coloured lenses like Bono wears.

#42 2024-02-19 06:28:06

FlatSixC

My Brooks Brothers tropical wool blazer has not seen action for a couple of years, but all of a sudden I’m enthused by it. So, it will feature in the mix, along with a Brooks madras jacket , faded jeans and white bucks.

#43 2024-03-22 01:21:23

Horace

For good quality telescoping umbrellla — Fox umbrella — you can get them at Antoine in Paris.  Though probably  50-60 GBP less direct from Fox.

Last edited by Horace (2024-03-22 01:22:09)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#44 2024-03-22 05:27:57

AlveySinger

Stax

Surprisingly my journey here wasn’t through mod. I used to think of it as a bit backwards looking.Later the mods crossed over to our scene with acid jazz and we crossed over to the sixties stuff with Absolute Beginners and Blue Note. Must admit I loved the Style Council though.  Wellers rebirth of mod schtik was just copying what was on the soul scene - white jeans, Burlington socks, LaCoste, Weejuns, gelled hair.

I was into the early eighties jazz funk and soul scene where there was a lot of interest in Americana. Loafers were good for dancing in, heavy sweatshirts looked different and varsity jackets were popular too.I hadn’t heard of Ivy

When my career took off I liked a lot of Ralph. That lead me to brushed shetlands, natural shoulder jackets, repo ties and surcingle belts and subsequently I found the relaunched John Simons in Chiltern Street.

I’m really grateful that Talk Ivy has opened my eyes to a lot of Sixties influences and the wider concept of Ivy - new wave films, Italian design, mid century furniture to name but a few.

#45 2024-03-22 07:41:22

An Unseen Scene

Ironically Mod didn't lead me to any of the wider design, style etc influences back in the 1980s - it was Northern Soul and pictures of people at Twisted Wheel, Golden Torch, Va Vas, Catacombs etc looking absolutely immaculate around 68-71 that took me back to Ivy and then onto the wider (lower case) modernism.  There was a light bulb moment I recall and never looked back then.

Board footer